buying retro Saracen Sahara

MrTea

Retro Newbie
I had my bike nicked last year, and have decided to go classic instead (cooler, better built, less nickable)

Found a shop with a late 80's Saracen Safari frame, and parts, and they're building for me. Any advice on which bits i should keep, which bits i should get in new? i want an urban bike that works like a genius but is unflash...

Also, what are the best handlebars in your experience of urban - straight / bullhorn etc.

Thanks......

also, sorry to ask so many Qs, i'm getting other wheels / tyres for off road. tips hugely appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

There are some big questions in that post.

Mechs: A lot depends on condition, but if the bike already has something like Shimano DX mechs, then there is no real reason to change them, unless you really want 9 or 10 speed which they may well struggle with.

Shifters: You can't really go wrong with thumbies, as a lot of old sti shifters will have gone all sticky by now. That's not a massive issue to fix, but thumbies are pretty bomb proof.

Seatpost and seat: Modern items are pretty good, although you can now get new Turbo and Flyte saddles, so it will still look retro.

Handlebars: Depends on the stem and your ride position, but unless you really need to have fixie type narrow bars, I'd be inclined to go in the opposite direction and get some flat wider bars 560 to 600mm wide. You get a good degree of control from them and the steering is a lot less twitchy.

Wheels: Light wheels make for a better ride, but watch those rims if you are going to be jumping on and off kerbs and the like.

That's my 2 bob's worth, I'm sure others will be along with their own ideas.

Most important thing....have fun. :mrgreen:

Thanks.. really useful advice. i told the shop to use the originals at first, and when i test them later today i may well swap out for the kit you suggested.

Thanks again

MrT

I'd keep the build as simple as possible. Lovely frames as they are, they do weigh a tonne, so putting bling on it wouldnt really be worthwhile as its wont drastically make the ride a lot better.

Echo what Neil says really.

Is it a yellow model? 1991? or the red?

Any pics

yellow. "made in UK" ie probably Taiwan and assembled here, but a little piece of roadworthy nostalgia and bomb-proof

Back