Gipiemme Rear Mech Problem

kermitgreenkona88":1zans5q9 said:
This model is more akin to the SLJ 6600 a later mech totally

b) Never underestimate the Japanese, they are very clever
:facepalm:

Errrmm Woz, Simplex are a French company ;)

What's that got to do with it? The Japanese are still clever! Just saying like.

You are right. It's a Simplex SX 610, the model name is just visible on the first picture.

I wonder if an Italian put the Gipiemme badge on ;-)

True the Japanese are very clever but hardly pertinent in this case ;) :LOL:

Simplex farmed out lots of mechs to lots of companies the stickers may have been put on by an Italian but he was working in a French company :LOL: :LOL:

Woz":14wskrt9 said:
Never underestimate the Japanese, they are very clever!

Ah, but this mech is French :twisted:

Can they be underestimated?

Made by Simplex for Gipiemme.

It says so on the back........

Evening all,

After a day in the garage not even looking at the mech, i think i understand how it could be rebuilt. Thanks for all the pointers.

This is the plan -
Reassemble the pivot with the spring
Turn the pivot with an allen key
Attach the rear washer when i get sufficient tension in the spring

Good plan or not?

Obviously this may take a few tries to get it right but if i have the time i will get it sorted.

Thanks all - as always - very much appreciated,

Richard

LOL Well, i will update next week - i am working for a few days and then I will give it a go. I hope that i won't pull any hair out in the process as i have very little left to lose!!!

Thanks, have a great weekend,

Richard

Evening all,

I had a quick play with the mech today - it appears that it might not be as easy as i thought. The spring will tension in both directions but in one direction it stops after abouit half a turn. NOt the end of the world - i will get another look at it later in the week.

Does anyone happen to know how much the spring should be turned? (I know this is badly worded)

Richard

You need to tension it so that the spring is turning in on itself, thus making it smaller (hope that makes sense)
As to the amount of tension, how long is a piece of string, I guess you need to experiment and tension it enough to work properly but not too much that it breaks the spring

Thanks - makes sense!

I think i might have problems getting the washer on as the pivot bolt seems to be very round and the washer has two flat edges, but nothing i cannot cope with (with my big hammer!).

I think there are a limited number of ways it can be put together - i suspect that it will be the last way i try when it actually works!! I will be prepared for a few hours of fun!

Thanks,

Richard

Latest posts

Back