L'Eroica race

jaguarking

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys, Can anybody suggest an alternative venue in UK for Classic Bike Similar to L'Eroica race in Italy??
Am thinking about Doing L'Eroica race next year and looking on line it looks like a really good idea but why go to italy if there one neare to home ??

Here is a list of the major European retro rides:

http://www.retroronde.be/nl/190-kameraden

There is nothing in the UK on that list, so the closest are probably the Belgian ones (Retro Ronde van Vlaanderen etc).

The Eroica is still the original and the best, it's 200km so it's quite an athletic challenge. Most other retro rides are only 100km or so for the longest versions.

The Retro Ronde is still very atmospheric and you get to do some of the famous Flemish hills.

There is talk of a British version of l'Eroica, but I've no idea how serious this idea really is, and if it will come to anything.
Personally, I'm dubious about it, I think it would be better to build a retro event around historic British cycling and terrain (Shibden Wall? Mow Cop? Box Hill? A ride around London ending in Herne Hill?) rather than make some fake copy of an Italian event. Mutter, grumble...

It's not a race - it's 'just' a ride.

Neither are all these sportives that get called 'races'.

Good point, there is no competitive element involved in most of these things (except maybe having the 'best' bike).

There is supposed to be a L'Eroica UK next year in the Peak District, but it has all gone very quiet.

Never the less I am building a bike that qualifies JIC.

For me, what makes l'eroica and the RetroRonde special is the sense of history about the area you are riding in with photos of classic races etc. I'm not sure how easy that is to recreate in the UK but if it's group riding on old bikes then there is always the RetroRoadRides Series viewtopic.php?f=5&t=236595

Related but at a tangent, I enjoyed the RetroRonde more than l'eroica although I'm still doing the latter next month. I'm not sure why that is - a preference for Belgian beer over Italian wine? - but it could possibly be due to ease of transport and cost as well as the riding (we'll leave aside that I have managed to convince myself with absolutely no evidence that I descended from a Belgian hardman and will be making my third trip this year to the bergs in late October with a little part of me hoping for wind and rain. But only a little part as fantasy is sometimes not as good as reality, as I was remarking to Natalie Portman only the other day). Anyway, Tuscany is amazingly beautiful plus the food and wine is incredible so it's a bit like choosing between riding a Colnago or a Merckx, neither will disappoint.

Back