Another bloody rant from Alison

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Bloody school trips :roll:

I've just paid out hundreds of pounds, which we put aside over months for school uniform for 3 children, another £120 we hadn't got for school shoes, Amelia still needs a replacement school bag :roll: and now the secondary school wants another £33 for my year 7 daughter to go on a team-building, raft making exercise. My oldest son went through secondary school with many friends, very successfully passing his GCSEs and not so successfully passing his A'Levels without ever having to 'team-build'. Can't they leave that sort of thing to the corporate giants and their management?

Sorry just fed up with the hundreds of pounds every year schools demand off parents to take their children to uninspiring places, my hubby has a full time job and we canny afford it, I don't know how people on benefits do.

Rant over

Alison

Chopper1192":wheyztpz said:
Highlandsflyer makes a fortune from his water borne team building days... ;)

I'll send him my Paypal details :D

We will just have to cook the books on YNAB (A very good budgeting site we use) we've also got the MOT in November, I think that will be the children's Christmas pressie :D Happy Christmas Girls and Boys you have another year of riding in the car, sorry we couldn't wrap it :roll:

Alison

You could just say NO.
You cant get everything you want in life, thats a life lesson as much as a team building exercise. Your daughter will get over it.

*My opinion is not valid as I have no children and this is likely to be the case forever* (thought I'd better add that before I get righteous parents complaining, as i "Obviously Dont Have Children !!!!!!!").

velomaniac":1femce5i said:
*My opinion is not valid as I have no children and this is likely to be the case forever* (thought I'd better add that before I get righteous parents complaining, as i "Obviously Dont Have Children !!!!!!!").

I had a health visitor who had no kids and would never have them, wonderful woman, wonderful with kids, I then had a health visitor with four children, I wouldn't trust her to look after a dead dog. having kids is a great experience but it doesn't necessarily follow that your good with them or that your advise is going to be any better than someone without.

My eldest daughter has come to terms with not being able to go skiing in France or on a French weekend trip this year, petty her brother many years ago went with the school to Austria but then we didn't have three other children in school.

Alison

velomaniac":27xrqg3q said:
You could just say NO.
You cant get everything you want in life, thats a life lesson as much as a team building exercise. Your daughter will get over it.

as a righteous parent i'm +1 on this ^^ saying no has more educational benefits than paying good money to bore a child doing something they dont want to do.
a fact mrs chute seems to think isnt important and can only say yes to everything :roll:
and regarding school uniform... my daughters new 'big school' uniform chosen supplier is... john effing lewis. thats £600 a year please to include a rugby top, a track suit, a pe top, a blazer and tie, football boots, shin pads, mouth guard (all of which apparently gets used twice in a year according to some older girls). all of which is colored specifically for that school so is unobtainable anywhere else.
and thats a council run state school not a private job.

Chute55uk":399f90lh said:
velomaniac":399f90lh said:
You could just say NO.

as a righteous parent i'm +1 on this ^^ saying no has more educational benefits than paying good money to bore a child doing something they dont want to do.
a fact mrs chute seems to think isnt important and can only say yes to everything :roll:
and regarding school uniform... my daughters new 'big school' uniform chosen supplier is... john effing lewis. thats £600 a year please to include a rugby top, a track suit, a pe top, a blazer and tie, football boots, shin pads, mouth guard (all of which apparently gets used twice in a year according to some older girls). all of which is colored specifically for that school so is unobtainable anywhere else.
and thats a council run state school not a private job.

Our school uniform except trousers and blouses/shirts can only be obtained from the school and only from the school, otherwise I'd shop around, although it didn't come to £600 more like £350, and that's my oldest daughter having to live with a mixture of year 7 and year 8 stuff for her current year 9 :oops: she is not best pleased.

Alison

This may be a controversial point of view, but if you have four children then surely you have half as much available to spend on each of them compared to having two because, of course, you have pretty much double the outlay.
If I could have my time all over again I'd still choose to have no more than two. My wife would agree with me completely BTW, because we couldn't have afforded to have any more even if we'd wanted to, and that was with both of us working full time from when the youngest went to school.

Your absolutely right, I will not argue with you for a second, if I'd only had James I'd be in full time work and no children permanently at home and feeling very comfortably off thank you very much, but I'm afraid I just loved adding another little character into the family with not enough thought to later on :oops: but I wouldn't swap any of my little ones for all the money in the world.

At least I don't have 10-16 and live on benefits :roll: now that would be a struggle. but then again my neighbours daughter has only 1 son and they both work full time and they think there is too many pointless uninspiring trips parents are forced to pay for.

Alison

Back