Gipiemme Rear Mech Problem

Just to be clear - does the spring have to rotate 360 degrees to get tension or is it less?

Richard

Can you post a picture of the other side of this tab washer?

IMGP4030_zps621c9545.jpg

First a disclaimer.....not an expert on Gipiemme but have done a fair bit of wrenching. Anyhow the top tips are:
a) Be prepared for bruised and skin torn knuckles
b) Never underestimate the Japanese, they are very clever
c) You will need about four hands. All of them right.
d) Strangely, heavy percussion instruments don't work well on rear mechs.

Here goes:
1) Pop the spring in the mech body, locate it with the hole.
2) There should be a hole on the main steel bolt for the spring too. Again locate the hole to mate with the spring.
3) With the allen key in the main steel bolt, turn to get gradual tension. Difficult to say how much, start with
half a turn say. You want the spring to "compress" so I believe you should be turning in a clockwise direction.
4) The metal plate should slip over the main bolt; located by the flats. Looking at the wear marks, the side to
"us" in the picture is the side that mates with the main bolt. Looks like it is held on by force alone rather than
a circlip.
5) You can then try it. If you need more tension, put the allen key in the main steel bolt, dislodge the plate,
tension up another half turn, pop the plate back on.
6) I guess the other bolt is to affix the mech to the frame.

Best of luck, and hope I'm not stating the obvious and it's clear!

Look at the other spring on the mech......it works the same way. You have to hold it together tensioned and slip it onto the frame.

Shaun

Thanks all,

I will give it a look in the morning.

47p2 - i don't have a pic of the other side but i will try and take one tomrrow.

Night all and thanks,

Richard

Looks like that might be the wrong washer, I think there should be a hole in it for the spring to go through. I think it might be the one below you need

$(KGrHqZ,!o4E-vqFo+iMBP43mqZBGQ~~60_12.JPG

Available on ebay...Click here for link

Your derailleur is basically a Simplex LJ 4000 with a Gipiemme label

Simplex%201979%2007-filtered.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Forget the above, yours tensions on the through bolt

You need to put the spring inside and line up the spring with the hole on the derailleur, then put the silver bolt in and line up the spring with the hole in the bolt.
Then put the washer on the back so that the tab fits into the indent below the hole and next to the pivot point. Next fit derailleur to frame and bolt through from behind. Then you turn the outer bolt until it is tensioned. If the spring is fitted the wrong way round it won't work, take apart and refit the opposite way...I think

Back