19", 1989 Marin Pine Mountain project £140 delivered.

gnawamurney

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
As title, can't find a copy of the '89 Marin catalogue to check specs but it seems to be almost entirely complete and original. To make a "runner" needs cables, new bearings throughout, a chain and 1 tyre. I've got as far as stripping to clean/ assess the components but I now need to sell. Photos and a more complete description later but brief spec is this.
19" ctc welded frame made from Tange MTB double butted CR-MO tubeset, finished in gloss grey (just pre zolatone) with fluro forks,stem and bars. Full Deore 11 groupset (apart from headset) Araya rm20 rims. Paintwork is a bit scuffed but its not the worst. It's survived this long intact, I don't really want to split it but if no-one wants it complete after a week or so, then I suppose I'll have to. More photos here. Sorry about the flash, light was starting to fade, will get some better ones tomorrow in daylight. http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/gnawa ... t=3&page=1
Photos are after the Raleigh!

Attachments

• project bikes 001.jpg
    project bikes 001.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 632
Frame- 19" ctc welded, from Tange MTB double butted CR-MO tubeset. No dents, seatpost was stuck and had been attacked with a hammer and screwdriver. I've removed it and tidied up the damage to the seatpost with a file. No structural rust at all but a bit scruffy, could do with new paint and decals.
Fork- Tange MTB CR-MO blades, AKISU dropouts, straight and rust free but a bit scuffed.
Headset- Don't know what this is, has a chromed Shimano locknut but no marks on the rest of it, not an MT60. In usable condition with the exception of the balls themselves.
Stem- Marin branded 105mm steel stem with cable pulley. Bit scruffy, sticker ropey, bar clamp bolt rusty, alloy top cap, wedge and bolt all good. chrome on cable pulley pitted.
Bars- Alloy bars 600mm, paint scruffy and touched up.
Grips- Foam, look original to me, a few small bites out of the outer edges but perfectly usable, no end plugs.

Shifters- Shimano Deore11 MT62 thumbies. Friction only left, friction/SIS right, 7 speed (7plus 1 clicks). left lever in very good cosmetic condition, top cover on right a bit faded and bashed. All clamps adjusters and mechanism perfect.
Brake Levers- Shimano deore11 MT63, 2 finger version. VGC, minor scuffing on left lever, SLR sticker missing from right- all mechanisms free and intact including the reach adjusters!
Saddle- Avocet Mountain M30. Lycra cover in poor condition, I've removed it and given it a wash but its still ripped!
Seatpost- SR Sakae 26.6mm Alloy seatpost. Filed the worst of the hammer marks down but heavily zig-zagged, not very pretty.
Clamp- Kalloy, intact and functional but chrome in poor condition.
Chainset/bb- Deore11 MT60. 175mm cranks with 46/36/26 Biopace alloy rings. Teeth on big ring a bit pointy, but others good. l/h crank is cracked at the bb end but from the outside, cracks haven't yet reached the tapers so crank stays tight but they will eventually.

bb is original MT60, in usable condition. Spindle bearing surfaces and one cone are very slightly pitted but its still nice and smooth when fitted. Seals are both present and intact, needs new balls.
Pedals- Mt60, Alloy body, steel cage. Cages need painted, one spindle has a bit of play. tried to strip thes e down but couldn't get the cage bolts out.
Brakes- Mt62 cantis. Fronts vgc with Shimano pads with loads of life left. rears not so good, bit of play on the pivots and the hole for the cable clamp bolt has been drilled right through to fit a nut and bolt. XT pads, not much life left.
Wheels- Black ano Araya RM20 rims on Deore11 hubs. Rims are excellent, anodising is virtually unmarked, braking surfaces have loads of life left, stickers starting to lift a little bit. 36 plain gauge stainless spokes, brass nipples, no makers marks. Front hub MT60, rear MT62, stickers intact, slight tarnishing to both hubs. Minimal play in freehub, sounds nice too, 12-28 7 speed Shimano HG70 cassette, looks in perfect condition. Bearings nice and smooth, haven't opened them up but they feel VERY nice.

Mechs- MT62, decent cosmetics, front in perfect woking order, rear has very slight play on the pins, jockeys perfect, even have bearing seals intact.
Tyres- Only has 1 usable tyre, a CST manufactured Marin Rockstar 26x2.0 on the front, which I assume was OE spec. The sidewall is a bit dry and stained but still usable.

Thats it, lots of decent bits and some crap! Happy to turn into a runner at cost price if that's of any interest to anyone. My local powder coater in also very good and cheap, last frame was £35, happy to get the frame coated too.

As title, can't find a copy of the '89 Marin catalogue to check specs but it seems to be almost entirely complete and original. To make a "runner" needs cables, new bearings throughout, a chain and 1 tyre. I've got as far as stripping to clean/ assess the components but I now need to sell. Photos and a more complete description later but brief spec is this.
19" ctc welded frame made from Tange MTB double butted CR-MO tubeset, finished in gloss grey (just pre zolatone) with fluro forks,stem and bars. Full Deore 11 groupset (apart from headset) Araya rm20 rims. Paintwork is a bit scuffed but its not the worst. It's survived this long intact, I don't really want to split it but if no-one wants it complete after a week or so, then I suppose I'll have to. More photos here. Sorry about the flash, light was starting to fade, will get some better ones tomorrow in daylight. http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/gnawa ... t=3&page=1
Photos are after the Raleigh!
Oh god I love this bike. The first brand new bike I ever bought. Think I had the 17.5” model. I was in love with this bike.

Back