Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

lumos2000":19u609u8 said:
grumpycommuter":19u609u8 said:
groovyblueshed":19u609u8 said:
I've just started digging the last strip of the plot that isn't under cultivation, bindweed and lots of docks are coming out. Piccies included. LUMOS take note. If you see any of these roots bag them up and chuck them away, don't put them in a composter!! It's bindweed and it's a swine.

yep got lots of them to go through, I haven't given it much time lately, been away camping for the end of the summer hols, cloud farm north devon, highly recommended and totally off grid. anyway shes back to school and ive got a to do list the length of my arm.
I thought you pick slows after the first good frost?

Certainly do. I like them with vodka.

Traditionally, sloes have been picked after the first frosts, but they can be harvested late September/October onwards. I'm just searching out new locations ahead of time, as my local council have annihilated my usual hedgerow of choice. I do like the suggestion of vodka.

started digging up the potatoes and the slugs and worms have had great fun munching there way through them

groovyblueshed":2r0r8zns said:
Haven't been keeping up with the thread as late as there have been issues to deal with – a wider family crisis, and then delivery of an 'ALL7' notice from the council on my plot (bar stewards parking fascist jobsworths!). As a result, I'm having to dig and clear the plot like a whirling dervish to avoid losing it in around 20 days time. I'm one of at least a dozen who've received the 'ALL7'. All my spare free time in the hours of daylight are going into this..

Howard...have you got it all sorted?

It's a weird feeling looking at the allotment at the moment. A lot of the potatoes are up and large patches of earth have been revealed and it's looking a little barren. The pots really have cleaned up the soil. As we have been lifting them the final few perennial weed root sytems are coming up as well.

The sweetcorn is spectacular. I'm not a fan so to speak but i can't believe how sweet they really are when freshly picked and cooked. The last two months have been filled with ousting caterpillars. I'm a big fan of these fellas but even my patience is being tested :facepalm:

We entered the local produce show as a family which was a real hoot and won bugger all! The kids took it well but being a male and therefore innately competitive i couldn't help eyeing up the other veggies.

More to come...

Attachments

• IMGP3621.JPG
    IMGP3621.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 377
  • IMGP3683.JPG
    IMGP3683.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 377
  • IMGP3686.JPG
    IMGP3686.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 377
  • IMGP3687.JPG
    IMGP3687.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 377
Well, just about everything is in now. With the weather as good as it is at the moment, the squashes are still growing.

All in all a very good year despite the late start. Good crops of garlic, beans and potatoes. We par boiled a lot of sweet corn in the week so I'm able to make a lot of chowder style soup throughout the winter.

Ooh, for the first time ever, our plum tree was able to boast more plums than I can this year!

Iwasgoodonce":3150dfd2 said:
Well, just about everything is in now. With the weather as good as it is at the moment, the squashes are still growing.

All in all a very good year despite the late start. Good crops of garlic, beans and potatoes. We par boiled a lot of sweet corn in the week so I'm able to make a lot of chowder style soup throughout the winter.

Ooh, for the first time ever, our plum tree was able to boast more plums than I can this year!

So is your plot like a tundra again yet?

We have just popped in some garlic and Japanese onion sets. The brassicas are looking very munched indeed and the pumpkins are huge!

Has everyone got their spuds in yet? Some holders have suggested we leave them in till Xmas as they store better but they are getting slugged so we are going to dig them all up and store in bags.

The wife is now officially unemployed so has been down the allotment a bit. Squashes are still growing so I am leaving them to it until it finally gets colder.

We are going to plant garlic tomorrow and I might even get a load of manure delivered.

Talk about organised!

OK its about time for some thread resurrection, what you planning on growing this year ?

1 - Sweet Peas, I will be starting to breed my own variety of sweet pea

2 - Chillis 3 variates, but will choose ones we are going to eat, rather than the stupidly hot ones like the nargas

3 - I want to try the other Sarpo variatys, had great results with Sarpo Mira this year. mixed range of sizes, but very blight resistant.

Back