'98 Rockhopper build - Nitanium magic!

danwithaplan

Devout Dirtbag
For my first retro build, I wanted a late 90s , steel hardtail with 1 1/8th headtube on the cheap. This popped up so I went for it:

$(KGrHqF,!lcFHsnVPjzeBR+!+VTI+w~~60_12.JPG

Thankfully it was as lacking in rust as it looked and I knew it must have led an easy life since it still had Strongarm cranks (The ones on my2001 Rockhopper bought new lasted 7 days). They quickly found a new home in the bin before a pleasingly small amount of swearing had the BB removed.

As a budget build it made sense to immediately purchase a set of mint HS33s and a NOS UN91 BB costing approximately 4x what I'd spent on the frame. Ideal.

Also purchased a nice big-logo FSA Orbit X CF to complete the current parts collection.

Since the hydraulic cables were un-accommodated by the standard cable guides I found myself freehand remodelling with an angle grinder, which went surprisingly well; the joy of cheap frames.

Since I am currently house-sitting, the only bike I have access to is a rather neglected Apollo Cafe. A small adjustment soon made riding it much more tolerable and my endos at the Sainsbury's bike racks much more impressive:

That's where I am now. Plans are to keep a fairly period feel and to attempt to economise slightly. I'm feeling a mint green powdercoat and some Bombers.

So has that been powdercoated? If not that's impressive t cut action!

Nice frames, I love those cranks (strong arm) but ditched on cost grounds for my budget rebuild for the Mrs (see Sig).

Looking forward to progress.

Thanks!

The picture is very flattering, it's a horrible rattle-can job that I've washed and degreased. Perfect to build into something without worrying about originality.

Your rebuild looks great, always good to see neglected bikes given new life.

Donor bike arrives on Tuesday, which should at least turn it into a rolling project.

Starting to get there:

I'm going for a 1x9 set-up, probably with a 32 up front. I decided that since there aren't many nice 30.4 seatposts out there, I could just file down a 30.9, which was a mistake and definitely not recommended, The current wheels are shite, but budget constraints mean for now the front will be swapped with something cheap and nasty since the bearings are gone and I'll look to buy a set when I've sold my moderns.

The SXs are there as a place holder and are actually not bad given their age, but still not as plush as Marzocchis from the same period.

Now built into a usable hack. There are still a few bits I want, but budget constraints have put that on hold for a little while. A big thanks to shinobi who sent me some front brake bosses.

photo_zps70785610.jpg~original

It rides very nicely, although I really need some kind of chain guide before I give it some real abuse, perhaps a Paul as I don't want anything too bulky, but if anyone has any recommendations that'd be good.

Roox chain dog are simple and similar to superstar equivalent of the modern age.

Looking good.

Cheers guys!

Roox is a good shout if one comes up, but I may just go for a cheapy superstar for now, just so I can give it a bit more stick.

I'm really enjoying being on a steel frame and it's surprisingly light for what it is (26lbs).

f2ltte.jpg

With my other retro-machine.

Back