Gipiemme Rear Mech Problem

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Good afternoon all,

I am still fighting with the mixte Gazelle i built for my wife. I changed the rear wheel spacing and had the wheel redished but things are not rosey in the garage! When i was messing with the adjustment of the rear mech i hit a problem, the upper pivot fell apart. Having had a look at it, i have not much of an idea how to get it back together. It is reasonably obvious which bit goes where but i need some pointers how to actually do it. Reassembling requires the spring to be put under tension and i have no idea how to do this. All help greatly appreciated and will be paid for in beer if you in my part of the world - maybe 2!!

Here are some pics -

I would not normally be too worried about this but i like the look of the mech and i spent some time polishing it up so i would like it back on the bike.

Thanks,

Richard

So what happens if you just reassemble it without worrying about tensioning the spring? Is it possible that the tension comes from the motion of the Mech when in use. Just a guess as I have never assembled, or disassembled one of these.

Steven

Richard,

That looks very similar to the Mavic mech I struggled with at the start of the year. Have you tried swearing at it? I did that a lot and managed it in the end.

Yours looks slightly different as mine had a circlip holding everything together. Try a search for my old Mavic thread.

hi Steven,

The mech dangles!! It needs some form of tension to sit in an appropriate place.

I should make it clear i did not disassemble it - it fell apart.

And this is the least of my problems tonight. I will not explain any further but it relates to the mixte rear wheel!

Richard

Thanks for that but i had the bits assembled but there was no tension in the spring - that is the problem - how do i get tension in the spring?

Richard

I'm going to make a mess of explaining this.

On end of the spring engages into a little hole in the main body of the mech. The other end of the spring goes into another hole on the piece of alloy that on my mech pushes against the angle of dangle stop. So, that's your first task, namely working out which end of the spring best goes where. On mine the ends were of differing length so it was fairly obvious.

Now for the swearing. Now rotate the smaller piece against the spring. Keep all the bits pushed together as the spring will want to push them apart and ruin everything. After half a turn or so, the tab on the angle of dangle stopper will engage and stop everything from un-rotating (is that even a word?).

On mine you then fit the circlip but on yours I don't know. Does the screw do up into the bolt holding it all together? I don't know.

I may have used an Allen key to help me turn the thing against the power of the spring. Good luck.

Okay I have just been looking at a picture of a Simplex mech which this is based on does the large steel bolt have an Allen key fitting :?:

If it does try this put the spring in place then put the bolt in, hold the steel plate at the rear with the small square tab facing outward at the top of the round barrel, then slowly rotate the steel bolt with the Allen key until the flats on the bolt locate in the flats on the washer, hopefully then it should be in tension and hold together long enough to be bolted in place.

Back