Project No. 1: Alpinestars Cro-Mega XT '1992 meets 2008'

slightly off topic, but who is that bird on south bounds picture? i think i'm in love...... and by the by, i was in a shop with £500 hard earned paper round wages at the age of 14 and i had to make the decision of an alpinestars (cro-mega? i think) or a gt karakoram.. agonising, went for the gt in the end but still hankered after the stars.. decent project, can't wait to see the end result ;)

Matt, answer now in my signature so that it is not wrong IF I ever change the picture, but not sure I will, she might have to stay. Better than a pic of a bike I reckon!

WOW, that's my bike!!!!! Thanks Neilll for bringing to everyones attention. It's in pieces, still waiting to be shot blasted. It's pretty rusty in places, so i'm not sure how it will turn out. But, it's original spec, except for the flex stem, i think.....

I had a Al-Mega DX in my paperround days, it was blue.
I always thought it seemed to flex above the bottom bracket area. Also the front braze-on mech was always moving and wouldn't stay in the right place!
I used to get back ache from it, but apparently they have a softer rear than most aluminium bikes.
Unfortunately it got stolen outside a shop in Ferndown.

What was the wooden paint on it?
Have you got a close up picture?

As close up as I have. God knows how they acheived it. Looks like it as a cro-mega LX (white) and over it they have kind of vanished it!

Attachments

• 2008_0521ebay0012.JPG
    2008_0521ebay0012.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 4,724
Found these old pictures of my original alpinestars cro-mega LX (upgraded to full Deore LX with XT thumbshifts and brake levers).

Also one of a very young, very slim and very fit me racing at Leisure Lakes Preston (Southport more like!!). Race must have been in 1992 as the bike looks totally stock and check out the MX outfit, racing on a seriously tight budget back then (didn't even have eye protection). Leisure Lakes were very small fish in those days, but what doesn't change is their answer when asking for a discount.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 4,658
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 4,657
This post is making me want to get my Cro-Mega back on the road! it's a 1992 model in red, used it for years for commuting to work with slicks on, had a single chainring/chainguard and seven gears at the back, great fun :D

With regards to headsets why not buy a Chris King Devolution? reduces the headset size to the current standard and opens up a whole new world of forks.....I have some old photos of mine in it's former glory somewhere, I'll dig them out and post them shortly!

Cheers
Stu

Back