whats the best retro mountain bike ever made

For me it was my kili flyer comp.... Fillet brazed prestige with black XT and farmer johns :) It looked great, rode great and even the name is err.... Great!

THIS:

DSC_0200_zps736f92b9.jpg

Although, it may well be this:

DSC_0154.jpg

And I still enjoy riding this:

IMGP0267.jpg

This is a demanding task as it assumes that we have tried all mountain bikes ever made. Some of the best retro mountain bikes I've tried include Sunns and old Kona's but my vote goes for Jamis Dragon. My personal favorite is Jamis Dragon Pro 2011. It was the last 26" Jamis Dragon ever made, it has a conventional steel (R853) frame and paintwork is very retro. This is one of those bikes that are retro when made :).

0vor.jpg

Re:

Holy thread resurrection, Batman !!
Dave_H":2v26xrtb said:
No company makes a retro bike. Time does that. :)

To be pedantic - companies do make retro bikes. Time makes old bikes.

Quote:
"Tom Ritchey made the best from from the start (He did invent the sport after all) to the finish IMHO His frames won more races than any other at all levels.
He also didn't sell out to the big bucks corporation and stayed faithful to steel and his own designs (unlike Klein, Yeti, KB, Fisher etc)"

This question always seems to let idiots like this vent themselves. Tom did not invent the sport, though he is happy to tell us all that he did.
The other guys did not sell out, economy of scale was pursued to make mtb's available to all. Trek stepped in to allow some great names to continue to design and the industry/sport/customer to benefit.

Everyone should remember that the actual definition of Retro is somewhat at odds with the way it is used on this site.

The Dragon is certainly made to look much like its forebears, so is as retro as anything else. Sweet bike.

I guess a Merlin Newsboy is a pretty 'Retro' styled bike, but best is something that is terrible subjective.

Back