What is this "panzer" ? help needed from Germany ;-)

bduc61

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
More than 25 years ago I bought this bike from a cousin who brought it back from Germany

Never really used it as I could not trust the brakes and at that time, I was not well versed in bike mechanics
so it has been sleeping in my father cellar from that time on.

I decided to dig it out to try to rejuvenate it.

Luckily I discovered it was with 26 inches wheels.

So a pair Schwalbe big Apple later ( they were sleeping too in my parts trove) here it is !

I wonder if german retrobikers can help assess what it is
as
it is surely a frame designed for 26 inches wheels but with "road" brakes . They bear the make Altenburger and they are pretty close to useless as even with new brakepads, they hardly deccelerate the german "panzer" which weighs close to a ton :LOL:

It has Beretta enormous steel rims - did not know the arms manufacturer was also in bikes ??? I actually wonder if decent brake pads for steel rims can still be sourced :idea: :?:
a sachs huret rear derailler
a shimano front
and sachs huret derailleurs commands
the bar is probably nitto
It bears some "Mustang" stickers
Its a 5 speed rear hub

so I wonder
Has this bike been reequipped ? it has no cable stops but do not seem to have been deprived of it
is it a sort of german "citybike" of the 80's but designed with 26 inches wheels?
It had fenders I took off - and still has a dynamo
The bottom bracket is very high ( the frame is a 50cm seattube length and 57cm toptube length)

let our german friends recall their memories ;)

Interesting Bike if rather unfortunately named :shock: .

I love a good mystery and will be following this one, Since there are lots of "Top Germans" on this site I'm sure it won't be long before someone comes forward and answers your question

German or not Spec wise "vorsprung durch technik" doesn't spring to mind and I think those brakes are a little feeble/kaputt

Spud

Retro Spud":1pu9vtdd said:
Interesting Bike if rather unfortunately named :shock: .

I love a good mystery and will be following this one, Since there are lots of "Top Germans" on this site I'm sure it won't be long before someone comes forward and answers your question

German or not Spec wise "vorsprung durch technik" doesn't spring to mind and I think those brakes are a little feeble/kaputt

Spud

the "nickname" did not want to be derogatory or bellicose
its just that when you lift the bike, you feel what I mean ! - edit : I weighed the "beast" - it is 17.70 kg heavy :shock: ( true there is also a bike stand but still )
and its a strong bike, because I am pretty sure it was well used before it came to me and it has withstood time quite well :LOL:
therefore the analogy :idea:
excuse my limited english mastering ;)

The issue with the brakes is that the rims are so big, I cannot swap easily with more efficient road brakes
I had some shimano 600 spares but they are too narrow :cry:

as some german retrobikers must be back from vacation, I bump the topic to know if it brings back memories ;)

I detect a theme regarding German BSO's. I had a big heavy German BSO, not the bike featured, that had steel rims, roadgears, useless brakes, very slack angles and a very high bottom bracket. It gave the impression it was built by people who'd had the concept described to them by a drunk down the pub but no one had actually seen a mtb in the flesh.
It was an awful mtb but was weirdly attractive to own and ride :LOL:

You need leather faced pads on steel rims ... they'll still be utter crap but at least you'll have tried! :LOL:

Relace spokes onto alloy rims or hub brakes such as drum, roller or as I've recently discovered band brakes. Forget leather faced pads, all they really do is keep the rims polished to a high sheen :LOL:

Back