ROCKYMOUNTAIN/Cannondale/Kona/Overburys/Bontrager

Yes, that colourway was an SM2000 in 89 and the SM1000 in 90. One of my favorites for sure and the finish on yours is stunning.

Anyway..The 89 Red Shred in my signature is also an 18" but the sad reality is it is just a little too small for me. I will pass thanks but hope someone grabs it and builds this up in a manner that it deserves. :cool:

sinnerman":2qe0455h said:
Antstark":2qe0455h said:
Apols if I missed it......but what size is the dale Carl ?

Hi Sorry its an 18".

Its quite nice really, because its a 3.0 series frame, both the sm1000 and the sm2000 are identical in every way. And the Black and white Splash paint work was available for both models, (althougth im told pre-order only when built into an sm1000 model).

So dependant on how you spec it depends on you, DX for an Sm1000, Xt for the Sm2000. The build weight difference could end up as much as 1lb. Of course the model ran for quite a while the main difference for the later model being the inclusion of an Aluminium Pepperoni fork, which would further reduce the weight, simple enough to find and colour match as its simple black, and if wanting to build spec correct I think suntour became an option also.... :cool:

Antstark":3ntt4c96 said:
Yes, that colourway was an SM2000 in 89 and the SM1000 in 90. One of my favorites for sure and the finish on yours is stunning. Does your frame have the replaceable mech hanger which was introduced in 90 ?

Anyway..The 89 Red Shred in my signature is also an 18" but the sad reality is it is just a little too small for me. I will pass thanks but hope someone grabs it and builds this up in a manner that it deserves. :cool:

sinnerman":3ntt4c96 said:
Antstark":3ntt4c96 said:
Apols if I missed it......but what size is the dale Carl ?

Hi Sorry its an 18".

Its quite nice really, because its a 3.0 series frame, both the sm1000 and the sm2000 are identical in every way. And the Black and white Splash paint work was available for both models, (althougth im told pre-order only when built into an sm1000 model).

So dependant on how you spec it depends on you, DX for an Sm1000, Xt for the Sm2000. The build weight difference could end up as much as 1lb. Of course the model ran for quite a while the main difference for the later model being the inclusion of an Aluminium Pepperoni fork, which would further reduce the weight, simple enough to find and colour match as its simple black, and if wanting to build spec correct I think suntour became an option also.... :cool:

Before you discount it altogether ref the size, confirm the angles, as if memeory serves me it differs greatly to the Red shed I could be wrong but even the bottom bracket height differs, I have just taken a look at yours and it looks much smaller by comparison, this has an 18" center to center measurement and a 20" center to top measurement. Im 5"11-6ft, and was perfect for me..... :cool:

In 1990 the bike came with the rear replaceable gear hanger and a cro-mo fork, and black and white splash as an order option, by 91 it came as a standard catalogue colour choice, with a Pepperoni fork. (from memory-the 89 model had the same rear dropouts and your red-shed and was only a paint option for the SM2000, but as I say this is all from memory... :? )

Agreed..The Red Shred is what eventually became known as the 'Beast of the East' frame design ... a higher bottom bracket (13") but compensated by a smaller frame...the effective size is pretty much the same however.

I am 6ft2 so as much as I would love it, it is just a tad too small for me. :(

Antstark":1ik9wapf said:
Agreed..The Red Shred is what eventually became known as the 'Beast of the East' frame design ... a higher bottom bracket (13") but compensated by a smaller frame...the effective size is pretty much the same however.

I am 6ft2 so as much as I would love it, it is just a tad too small for me. :(

Ah At 6ft 2 it really would be too, keep up the good work though mate the RS is Lovely... :cool:

Back