A bike is born

IGSB27

Dirt Disciple
Finally finished my bike I know it's not 100% retro parts but I am happy with it. I started it as a project because I don't like the look of new bikes and have spent about £400 thank you for all the help I have received as I joined this sight with just a frame and little understanding of components and compatibility.

Main components:
------
Ribble R4 19" Frame
Bomber Z2 Forks
Rear deraler XT M772 SGS
Front deraler XT M761
CS-HG61 cassette
XT M770 Shifters
Deore hollowtech crank
XT BR-M739 v Brakes
X-Light cross country specific bars
Cannondale coda performance wheelset 9speed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 742
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 742
Ribble made some awesome bikes back in the day, I especially liked their Steel models

As do I only problem with this bike is its a bit sensitise / twitchy in the steering but that may be a good thing I don't know

As per the twitchy handling, are you basing this on comparison with a modern bike or a bike with slacker head angles. You bike may have been designed with XC racing in mind where twitchy usually suggests quick steering which is useful in tight twisty XC circuits. Alternatively it could mean the fork is too short or the geometry is wrong for that fork.

I'm not comparing it to any other bike as this is my first bike in 2 years. I don't think it's is a problem it's quite nice to be able to dart in and out of obsticals it just means you have to pay attention when riding which is always a good thing.

Please tell me that's not the height that you actually have the saddle at when you're riding, 'cos if it is then the frame's massively too big for you or else you run your saddle far too low.

Yer I do run it at that hight I'm 5ft 11 and I can just stand up off the saddle with a flat foot on the ground

then your saddle is too low... AND your frame is too big

If you are 5'9" and the frame is a 19" then its too big... you would be better with a 17 or 18" frame
Dont be concerned about getting you foot flat on the floor while still sat on the saddle (you can stand off the saddle or get your toes on the floor if needed). Your leg needs to be just of straight with a slightly bent knee as in the picture, otherwise you will be wasting a whole load of energy from your leg muscles, AND risking injury to knees, ankles, tendons and hips

shin-knee2.jpg

G

Back