Project No. 1: Alpinestars Cro-Mega XT '1992 meets 2008'

I've just built up the forks, front wheel and bars to check the distance from the top of the tyre to the headset cup and this is exactly 5". Looking at the picture above kindly supplied by Neilll, I feel that it's probably not far off as it is.

But totally agree with you are saying, it would be a total nightmare keeping the front end down on climbs.

Attachments

• 2008_0605partbike0002.JPG
    2008_0605partbike0002.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 19,447
Good luck with the project, I had one and to this day still not sure whether I actually iked it or not
Have a butchers at it in all its old purplefied glory

Attachments

• DSCN0488.JPG
    DSCN0488.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 19,434
Going by the stock fork on neilll's one up there, I reckon that'll be perfectly happy with an 80mm sus fork on it. Although those bikes were the wheelie kings out of the box, so who knows? ;-)

After a bit of research I should be able to get away with either a hope intregated or semi intregated aheadset. Using a 1 1/4" headtube is proving a stroke of genius by alpinestars.

Sounds logical. My research will have to continue. A semi integrated should ok though? Just trying to win a little extra room below the head tube to accommodate 80mm of travel.

Back