Need help IDing Mystery GT Avalanche - SOLVED!

Konanthebarbarian

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks,

Apologies if this is wrong place to post, but I need some help identifying a bike. Hopefully the retro gurus and GT affectionados can weigh in!

Does anybody know what year/model this bike is? Far as I can tell, it's a GT Avalanche, but I can't find ANY similar images on Google with the brilliant blue paint job. It has "all terra" and "triple triangle" stickers on it. The seat stay also has a sticker that says "Triple Butted Cromoly" and "Made in USA"

P1170249 by js381, on Flickr

P1170248 by js381, on Flickr

P1170246 by js381, on Flickr

I saw it on Craigslist and ran out the door to buy it just for the seat post, but it's got a lot of other sweet XT parts in the mix. (Yeah, the forks need some work :? )

I'd never ridden a GT, and riding it back home is when the magic happened. It handles wonderfully, has clearly been untouched for at least a decade, and I'm kind of in love with it!
The girlfriend says it has to go soon (too many bikes), but damn... I want to keep it.

Can anybody help give it a name and year?

Re: Need help IDing Mystery GT Avalanche - blue "all terra"

I think from the decals and the spec it's an alternate colour 92 Avalanche.

I have a 92 in Ice White (the black spotted one). Lovely bike to ride, it's 20 years old and still one of the smoothest things I've ridden.

Here is a pic I found of 92.

pict0059is8.jpg

Wow! That has to be record timing. I think you've got it spot-on.

Thanks, MADJEZ! Wish I had the matching forks as well. They guy who sold it to me said he thinks he left them at his mother's house :facepalm:

Happy to help. GT had a habit of sneaking odd coloured frames out that either weren't in the catalogue or that were well hidden.
I'm sure someone will buy the Manitous off you leaving enough to pick up some 3D forks.

great riding bikes I had one in a 16" and picked up an 18" frame. As was said...the "other" color from 1992.

Thanks! I've updated the thread title to indicate that the mystery has been solved, but comments are still very welcome.

The original plan was to pillage it for parts for my '94 Kilauea project, but it's just too darn fun to ride and seems like a shame to break up the mostly original components.

Back