The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

hamster":1naa4d1b said:
You might be surprised - it's all discrete components so somebody with a bit of love and an oscilloscope should be able to help. Is it valve or transistor?

No idea, I haven't opened it. Probably valves/tubes/lamps or whatever people want to call it. I know that it's at least 50 years old.
It belonged to my late grandfather, who used it for years in his attic. It's been standing there and he has been using a small transistor radio instead for as long as I can remember. The bit of wood behind the left knob doesn't inspire much confidence.

Perhaps I should take it downstairs, open it up, clean it, then try it.

----------------

EDIT : well, took it downstairs and opened it.

P8290039m.jpg

P8290051m.jpg

Once things at work settle down a bit, I'll take out the compressor and blow all the dust out.

It's a Philips B5X22A from 1962 or 63, so 50 years old indeed. It's a 127V model rather than the 220V that is common over here. I already found a pdf with the manual, schematics, troubleshooting guides etc, so finding the information is not a problem. Getting the parts on the other hand might be harder. I wasn't really expecting wheels and cables in a radio either.

In the attic there are a few 110V outputs, but I think that just isn't enough and it simply didn't work due to lack of current.
This thing was made in 110, 127, 145 and 220V versions, so the voltages seem quite specific.
I've been thinking about tracking down the parts to make it compatible with 220V, but am reluctant because we actually have around 230V here. I guess the only solution is to get/make a 220-120V adapter.

P8290033m.jpg

Lovely how the radio stations were already printed on the slider. They obviously thought that the names or frequencies were never going to change.
Unfortunately it only goes up to 104 FM, whereas all the good dance stations are between 106 and 108.

P8290035m.jpg

See? It's a Hi-Fi system indeed. It even says so above the frequency dial.

P8290031m.jpg

my lifesaver ... the earth pin on modern sockets (right) prevents the radio's old plug (left) from being plugged in. This could have gone very bad ...

Take a look at the Vintage Radio Forum, there's loads of people re-building radios from that era http://www.vintage-radio.net/ But remember valves run at quite high voltages, usually around 400 Volts, so unless you are familiar with electronics think about consulting a pro, or take some lessons :)

Interestingly, I find myself without a pre-amp having sold the 34 after months of refurbishment and repair, and receiving an offer no sane person could refuse for my 44!

Time to get my building head on.

Latest project - can you see what it is yet?

Needs a pair of concentric pots for record level as somehow they've been sheared off. Found some on eBay whick will probably go in with a little persuasion, but I'll look for original type first.

DSCF0018_zpsc49bd9fb.jpg

apache":1rj2oe62 said:
Interestingly, I find myself without a pre-amp having sold the 34 after months of refurbishment and repair, and receiving an offer no sane person could refuse for my 44!

Time to get my building head on.

I have a Quad 33 and a Lecson available.

Lecson might be pricey though.

Might have the 33 off you if it's reasonable. I did a 'parts cost only' refurb of the 33 owned by the chap who bought my 34 in order to get some first hand experience of the 33 internals so it would be useful as a 'pattern' now I've given the chap his 33 back.

The Lecson should go on eBay - it'll sell for a fortune given that it's all still boxed and unused!

Back