Hinault speaks, and he still rides 300k a week!

matthew71":21ob8uby said:
roadking":21ob8uby said:
matthew71":21ob8uby said:
He,s just pissed of because us brits keep winning his home tour .while the french are lucky to win a stage let alone make the podium :D

Not the response I was hoping for with the post (a more considered one would have been more welcome), I guess two wins in a 100 TdFs is an achievement; but one that ignores the achievements of all those British riders of the classic era that never had a Knighthood -

Robert Millar
Paul Sherwen
Graham Jones
Malcolm Elliott
Sean Yates
Barry Hoban
Vin Denson.

Team Sky: Riders from the Death Star, the team where riders talk about objectives not victories, and the spreadsheet rather than the routecard rules.

This is Retrobike remember?

Rk.

perhaps if you had considered you response a bit more you would have put tom simpson and brian robinson on your list.you seem to have ignored them,but i guess being the first brits to win a tour stage and be world champion is not good enough for your so called golden age

Suggest you give more thought to your future comments, the thread was begun for a reason: that I consider Hinault's comments interesting. The riders I named are a few examples not a definitive list (doh!).

I could have started the list with Charlie Davey who in 1912, yes 1912, was selected to ride the 200 mile, yes 200 mile, Olympic road race in Stockholm.

That's 1912, 200 miles in Sweden.

I'll wager you've never heard of him.

Rk.

Sounds an interesting interview with the Badger, may actually consider buying the magazine.

Being a fierce Breton I can't see Bernard being over the moon to see two Rosbifs in a row taking his home Tour. Whether this has informed his comments or not is another matter.

Think Mr Hinault is being a little disingenuous with his comments. The sport has moved on and become more scientific (in many areas, some good, some bad), the days of smashing out 300 races a year and being competetive in those are done. If he was riding now he would be no different, lazy or not.

John":1x60uso6 said:
Sounds an interesting interview with the Badger, may actually consider buying the magazine.

Being a fierce Breton I can't see Bernard being over the moon to see two Rosbifs in a row taking his home Tour. Whether this has informed his comments or not is another matter.

Think Mr Hinault is being a little disingenuous with his comments. The sport has moved on and become more scientific (in many areas, some good, some bad), the days of smashing out 300 races a year and being competetive in those are done. If he was riding now he would be no different, lazy or not.

Cyclist, a good magazine IMO, not widely available and only bi-monthly.

Hinault's views are clearly there for intelligent scrutiny, hence starting the thread.

Rk.

John said:
the days of smashing out 300 races a year and being competetive in those are done.[/quote

I wonder why?

Perhaps something to do with understanding HOW riders remained competitive for 300 races?

Spokesmann":yipsypfz said:
Presuambly he rides 300 Kilometres a week and not 300,000! :p

Maybe riding 300Km per week but the diet has gone to pot. It was only some 5 years ago he stated that he no longer rides a bike but he did get back in the saddle

ColnagoC59":3slfwela said:
Spokesmann":3slfwela said:
Presuambly he rides 300 Kilometres a week and not 300,000! :p

Maybe riding 300Km per week but the diet has gone to pot. It was only some 5 years ago he stated that he no longer rides a bike but he did get back in the saddle

...sounds like he would fit into the RB membership perfectly then. I imagine he's cursing a French driveside cup at this very moment. :LOL:

Back