Funnyish joke...lol

Afternoon all,

Thanks for the joke Ian Raleigh - very funny indeed!!

I am Irish (Norn Irish), and i do not find it offensive, life would be too short to take offence at every 'Paddy the Irishman' joke.

Re the discussion above, is it discriminatory if the person affected is not offended? Of course it is, but, has everyone lost their sense of humour?

I mean this in the wider sense and not just the jokes. Language which is racist, sexist etc should not be condoned but there has to be some level or boundary which should not be crossed. I make this point to emphasise a point i made earlier regarding people of small stature. Appropriate language is a nightmare to keep on top of, what was correct last week now is offensive, what was offensive last week is now appropriate.

There has to be a boundary beyond which you should not stray, what it is, i am not sure. I know how it is dealt with in the workplace but outside of work, hard to judge. I was in a pub recently where an older man was talking about "Polish taking local jobs". I asked him to explain and he said they moved in and took jobs. I told him that without these workers the factory would have closed and there would be NO JOBS for anyone - local or from elsewhere. He really did not take this on board and i have an unproved belief that people of a certain age group will not change their views, racist or otherwise, as they have held them for such a long time. I think it is up to parents to broaden the views of their children to help change views in future.

On a final point, I saw an interview with Bernard Manning a while ago, he was asked about his racist jokes and he said that he abused every minority group and everyone else - is this the way forward? I appreciated his point and it did make me think about the affect that jokes have.

Thanks for reading my thoughts from the garage floor - back to Sheldon for more appropraite advice,

Richard

What I can never get my head round is if it's okay to laugh like a horse at Chris Rock telling jokes about black people and using the 'N' word, what exactly is wrong with laughing at Jim Davidson (who, to my knowledge, has never used the 'N' word)?

It's the same with those who denigrate Roy 'Chubby' Brown for being sexist and misogynistic. A group of us went to see him in Yarmouth years ago; I was a little concerned how my then wife would react because she was renowned for her lousy sense of humour, but she cried with laughter from beginning to end!

Go figure... :?

We_are_Stevo":pkmnf30q said:
What I can never get my head round is if it's okay to laugh like a horse at Chris Rock telling jokes about black people and using the 'N' word, what exactly is wrong with laughing at Jim Davidson (who, to my knowledge, has never used the 'N' word)?

What's wrong with it? Well he's simply not funny any more. Not truly sure he ever was, really.

As to why you can't get your head around it, despite it having being discussed and explained to you - well perhaps because you don't want to get your head around it.

All the same, there is a difference, between people of certain ethnicities using terms towards other people of the same ethnicity, and other who aren't using a term describing them, if the term has been a key word in a huge chunk of history in oppressing them for their ethnicity.

It must be very difficult for people who clearly want to use the N word, but modern political correctness has made it untenable. They have my utmost sympathies. It must be worth much more consideration than the huge chunk of history such ethnicities have been oppressed because of their skin colour.

Hmmm, so why are Chris Rocks white audiences perfectly happy laughing at him taking the p*ss out of 'white folks?'

As far as I am concerned, humour is humour, whoever it is directed at...

...Jaspar Carrot still sends himself up today for all the flack he got over his 'Dead People...' routine in the 70's! :LOL:

...and I have black colleagues today who do the 'Now you see me, now don't...' routine on Pelican Crossings so don't tell me Jim Davidson wasn't/isn't funny!

We_are_Stevo":2benlqy1 said:
Hmmm, so why are Chris Rocks white audiences perfectly happy laughing at him taking the p*ss out of 'white folks?'

<sigh> Because white folk don't have history of hundreds of years of oppression based on their skin colour. All they have is the occasional comedian being sarky.

We_are_Stevo":2benlqy1 said:
...and I have black colleagues today who do the 'Now you see me, now don't...' routine on Pelican Crossings so don't tell me Jim Davidson wasn't/isn't funny!

Jim Davidson isn't funny. Not sure he ever was.

There you go, I've just told you.

I think you'll find the Moorish culture was far more advanced than our own, and preceeded 'slavery' by quite some considerable time!

You could also use the argument that had it not been for slavery the various nationalities of African descent would still be dying in their tens of thousands on the 'Dark Continent' instead...

...slavery was the pinnacle of the various empires evil reign, but you can't keep apologising for history!

Its very funny reading everyone who is having a go at each other and i'm sure
if we met would get on very well in the local pub and have a right piss up.

Years ago at our Pit there was a black African guy who used to have the biggest knob you have ever
seen and after a shift it used to be a nightmare in the showers as LeeRoy would always be going on about this....

'Any white-man I see bending over for the soap this Niggnog is going shove this black mamba up right up his arse' :shock:

Let me tell you this guy many a time used to shout ''INCOMING'' :(

Race never bother as at the end of a shift we would be all the same colour...lol

Exactly! It wasn't until the do-gooders took away the humour that the nasty side of racism took its place... :|

Back