Calling Raleigh SBD Experts Help Wanted.

bugloss

Retrobike Rider
HI
Would a 1975 Ti Raleigh SBD No. SB461 with Super Record 1st gen. originally have had 27" wheels on Campagnolo LF hubs with straight levers and pointy ends on the QR and a 5 speed block ?

Plus is the 57 ( stamped on bottom bracket ) measured c-c or c-t ?

Also SB461, what does this mean exactly?

Plus...... are they any good? :)

Sorry, English bikes are a complete mystery to me, but having bruised my nads on a blue chopper in the 70's, courtesy of a slippy Sturmey-Archer, and smashed my head falling off a Grifter, which my sister managed to get stolen by leaving it overnight outside the door in East London, I owe it to myself to rekindle the Raleigh love of my pre teens.

OK, here's a glimpse of the thing.

More to follow soon,............ maybe.

Attachments

• Raleigh 1.jpg
    Raleigh 1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 468
  • Raleigh 2.jpg
    Raleigh 2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 468
bugloss":30ql13m9 said:
HI
Would a 1975 Ti Raleigh SBD No. SB461 with Super Record 1st gen. originally have had 27" wheels on Campagnolo LF hubs with straight levers and pointy ends on the QR and a 5 speed block ?

Plus is the 57 ( stamped on bottom bracket ) measured c-c or c-t ?

Also SB461, what does this mean exactly?

Plus...... are they any good? :)

Sorry, English bikes are a complete mystery to me, but having bruised my nads on a blue chopper in the 70's, courtesy of a slippy Sturmey-Archer, and smashed my head falling off a Grifter, which my sister managed to get stolen by leaving it overnight outside the door in East London, I owe it to myself to rekindle the Raleigh love of my pre teens.

I am tempted to reply...

Rk.

Well, go ahead. Any information will be gladly received.

I'm curious about the forks,as the other road versions that I've seen are all painted.

The Raleigh SBDU Division is outlined in many a Google search so won't dwell on that here, Their frames were supposedly stamped numerically with SB plus a number so SB461 is the 461st frame made by the division.....They also stamped other numbers and letter depending on who they made them for.

Frames ordered in 1978 in 753 came with EDCO competition headset which looks like your's......not sure about earlier.

The chrome is more interesting as when I was a young lad in a bike shop a lot of the raleigh frames including the SBDU frames had chrome if ordered......when 753 tubing arrived I was told that it was so thin that chrome could not be done so all 753 frames were painted.

AFAIK 1975 Campag SR kit had everything "stabby" including the QR levers for the brakes and the QR's for the wheels, no black anodising for the front mech if memory serves.

Are they any good? Is a Jaguar E-type any good nowadays? no........but a classic in their day :D

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, again. You truly are a mine of information.

It looks classic and reserved enough compared to my 80's Italian bikes and there's a large amount of air between the crown and the top of the wheel. I'll have to watch out the Sparrows don't start nesting in there.

This one comes from Holland. I've read that there was a very strong connection with the first Raleigh teams and the Dutch so that fits.

How do I tell if its 531 or 753 as the sticker has gone?

Any ideas about the 57 size stamped on the BB is it c-c or c-t?

Here's the BB.

Attachments

• Raleigh (1).jpg
    Raleigh (1).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 396
Midlife":3f3xopel said:
Can I buy it :)

Shaun

Queue the "thunders and lightnings"

Moses, he say...........

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours bike"

Attachments

• the-ten-commandments-1956-movie-05.jpeg
    the-ten-commandments-1956-movie-05.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 319
You're at the top of the list should I need to relieve myself of it.........How rich are you feeling? ;)

To continue on the biblical tone.

You may have to wait till Hell freezes over though. :)

Back