Alpinestars CSR 200?

BG&E Ed

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I doubt my bike is considered retro as it's a 2001 or 2002 model but I was wondering whether anyone knows anything about them. I've searched on the internet and found nothing which probably means it's nothing special!

I bought it about 9 years ago when I knew nothing about bikes, so only a bit less than I do now!

From memory it has Front suspension, shimano deore gear set and parts like the handle bars and seat/seat post have Scratch written on them.

I'll upload some photos when I get home from work.

Don't think Alpinestars were making bikes around 2000? The name sounds like one of the last bikes they did around the mid 90's but I'm no expert :?

I've got an Aplinestars CR250, bought it new in 1996 and this was the last year they made bikes before exiting the market. I've just spent a bit of money getting mine cleaned up and I think I prefer it to my '07 Gary Fisher Marlin!

This is my only experience of the brand...

I have a CSR100 with Scratch hardware.

It's rigid forks had 1997 stamped on the steerer tube. Not sure they're original. A-head, so you know.

Rims, hubs, stem, handlebars, seatpost, headset, seat clamp and saddle all branded 'Scratch'
All matte greys and black apart from the seat that had a big, ugly logo on top. seems like quality stuff to me. light alloy.

Had lame Acera gearing and probably the same cranks (they were poor)

Oh and it's 'Alpinestars custom blend' crmo... nice simple frame.
Seems lightweight to me. (I have no scales)

Paintwork is not to my taste, but it's not bad in red with a burnt orange front end.
Decals are under gloss and are not stickers.

Since I've owned it I've added the following..

some Fsa '36 degree' headset
Xray Gripshifts
XT rear der.
Rockshox SL Judy forks
Exage 500LX cranks (hopefully to be replaced soon)
Specialized seat

..in conclusion, i love it. Probably only ever get rid of it if an older Alpinestars comes my way.

My first post, by the way.
If that means anything to anyone.

I've never seen that model before.
I believe as is said above, that 1996 or 1997 was the last year they made bikes.
I quite like the later ones.

Finally the rather naff photos (I did take them yesterday, just didn't have the time to upload).

The poor bike has had next to no maintenance during it's time. Always works perfectly though, check out the chain stretch :). Got me to work fine today.

It was definitely purchased in 2001 or 2002. The only thing that isn't original is the stem, the heavy steel stem was put on the day of purchase because the original felt too long.

Back