1990 kona lava dome project

agent29":26nsmb7d said:
That would explain it then. Very nice Cindercone BTW, the frame lugging and angle looks very similar to my 93 Lavadome which is very light. Did Kona use the same frameset across different models?

The general rule of thumb is no. Hahanna's and Fire Mountains used basic Tange with a more slack geometry, Lava Dome's and Cinder Cone's a better set and "normal" geometry, Explosif and such super-duper tubing.

Whilst the X1 kit isn't great it's rare so high on the geek factor. Here was mine I had a while back:

viewtopic.php?t=172939&start=0

Ahh right a grease nipple !! Ooohhh errrr !!

So if I have fitted a sealed bb it wouldn't matter if I fitted a solid bolt it the cable guide then......

Konafan78":1igkfi03 said:
Ahh right a grease nipple !! Ooohhh errrr !!

So if I have fitted a sealed bb it wouldn't matter if I fitted a solid bolt it the cable guide then......

Love that splatter lava dome al-onestare - I will have one of those one day, when I clear my current projects.....

Couple of updates as few parts arrived durin the week,

image_zps0b2da514.jpg

Un55 bottom bracket
Shimano chain
Dx hubs laced to araya rm17 rims
Shimano cassette
Bottle cage
Zmax tyres

Just need pedals and cable up and she good to go. Dying to go out on this, will still be on the look out for some suitable suntour wheels, but for the time being this'll do.

Thanks, I like the xc ltd, however temporally pairing up with a shimano cassette may be interesting :shock:

Back in the day I had a 1990 cindercone with xcltd grouppo and I liked it back then, next project is a 1990 cindercone, bought the frame and forks off here, but an gonna splatter dx on it.

I have the cables to fit this afternoon, ordered a new cable guide for under the bb off eBay last night as forgot about that !

Not happy with the white joe murray sticker on the top tube so will try to sort that out, maybe a silver post I am thinking but not sure yet, and think that's about it :D

Then out for a spin...........

Well all sorted and went for a short ride today and I have to say was awesome. The shifting was good and accurate, and the bike felt lovely. Well pleased with it and can't wait to take her out again. Some pics --

image_zps71788294.jpg

image_zps2705c2f8.jpg

image_zps6aa0142f.jpg

Roll on the next project, a 1990 cindercone :D

agent29":3ibouiy4 said:
No it wont matter Konafan78, the nipple was there onlt to grease the BB racers etc.

Well you certainly need to make sure the hole is filled otherwise you'll end up with a knackered BB very quickly. Also the cable guide won't be secured properly.

Back