Deore XT 7 speed jockey wheels

spadman4130

Retro Newbie
Any one know which ones i need?

I salvaged an old mech out of a friends tool box, the rest of it looks in great cond apart from the jockey wheels look like the spikes on a rose bush!!

thanks in advance

Adam

just about any will fit from other shimano mechs. aftermarket ones tend not to have shimanos' patented 2mm or whateveritis 'play' in the top jockey wheel and can make shifting worse.

original ones with the ceramic bearing are hard to find

Older mechs generally had 10 tooth jockey wheels, whereas it wasn't really until the introduction of 9 speed transmissions that 11 tooth jockeys became the norm.
In practice both types will work as long as they clear the mech plates. You can also mix different numbers of teeth with no ill effects.

I've used Tacx and BBB jockey wheels on old and newer Shimano mechs. These aftermarket jockey wheels do have a small amount of side to side play designed into them. They will work just as well as the originals.

Make sure you put some decent grease on the bearings if you use Tacx ones though.

When my Deore 7 speed jockey wheels got really worn I replaced them with these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBB-Rollerboy ... 1e64e166ed.

They don't have the 2mm play thing, but I didn't notice any difference in shifting, they are upper and lower specific, so perhaps the thinner upper wheel allows the chain to move about, rather than having play in the bearing itself. They seem to be lasting well too, the bearings are still nice and smooth after 500 miles or so with minimal maintenance.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back