MacRetro Trading Post

Money saving tip - Old Shimano 6/7/8 speed mechs work just fine with 9sp Shimano STI (says the man running an RD-1055 with 9 speed cassette/shifters).

Oh aye - Keep an eye on eBay for carbon forks that don't finish on a Sunday, there are still bargains out there.

STI shifters are difficult to pick up cheap though.

Someone in the road section sold an almost new pair of 10 speed Ultegra STIs for £68 posted yesterday - they lasted about 15 seconds so I missed them.

I've been tracking carbon forks on ebay for a while, could have had some cheap ones if I needed a shorter steerer. I'm getting close to biting the bullet and pushing the button on some of those Hylix ones direct from Taiwan and hoping they slip through customs.

If you don't mind mismatched shifters, keep your LHS shifter and just buy a newer RHS shifter? Everybody seems to want matching pairs (bloody tarts), so single shifters can be cheaper.

I'm running a black-lever LHS 105 that I got new last year for less that £30 from wiggle - mikee had a spare RHS 9sp Tiagra chrome lever that he sold for a very reasonable price. Job done.

I've recently purchased a Hylix post and a Kalloy Uno stem. Very cheap weight savers. Both lighter than my Ritchey WCS items. FWIW and I'm sure you know this but tyres and tubes are the easiest, have a look at CRC for a pair of maxxiis road tyres ;)

Yep, already done tyres/tubes, wheels, bar, stem, chainset. Started looking at microshift groupsets now, decent reviews and look like good value.

Rumble":32u34pfv said:
Anyone got any cheapish roadie bits (retro or modern) - looking to upgrade and loose some weight from my main road bike. Things I might be interested in, in order:

Carbon fork (1 1/8, 190mm+ steerer)
9 or 10 speed STIs, mechs and cassette
Carbon seatpost, 30.9
Brake calipers

Cosmetics not all that important, cheapness more so :LOL:

Ive got a Kuota carbon post but its 29.8mm. Real weird size but a 1mm shim would take it to 30.8 and with some carbon paste it might work. Ill post more details and a picture if your interested. Was thinking about £14 posted. Or you can collect if you live in Glasgow. Cheers Tref

Fork sale >>>>>>http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=270917

Back