95/96' Judys, can they be run without boots?

A_Venables

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As title, can these be run without boots? Im just about to pull a set apart to recon them with a new set of springs and wondered if I can have the lovely stantchions showing?

Yes, they have dust seals on them (in fact it's the only seal).
They do become vulnerable to chips and scrapes though, which is the most common damage to them after water ingress past the seal.

Could be argued that they are better off without the boots...

...they certainly aren't watertight, letting in all kinds of crud; out of sight being out of mind as it is said crud then just sits there working its dubious magic on your seals and pretty gold coating.

As above, if you can see it you are far more likely to clean it off; and they look c :cool: :cool: ler into the bargain.

But it's not the crud that's the problem on Judy, that oddly tends not to get in either way. It's the rain that goes straight through the seals and then sits there and blows the bushings and corrodes the stanchions.

The later Judy's are better with better seals.

*It should be noted that I run without as they look good and I 'always intend to' service them regularly.
just don't tell my last pair that ;) One winter and dead, oops.

Thanks a lot for the replies, got a set of XCs and another SL to pull apart, with various types of spring kits to fit, hopefully will have two nice forks as long as the internals aren't too worn. They look easy enough to strip and lube up.

Rock Shox Shower Caps.....if you can find them.

atticwhatisit42B.jpg

Back