1x Set-Up. Simplifying made complicated!!

jonnymcenroe

Beating Jimmy Connors
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Considering i've never done this before thought i'd ask here for advice from RB.

i'm running 3x 8spd compact and i want to get it down to 1x8

easiest solution?

Do i have to buy a chain guide?

Ring size? 32 or 34 or 36?

Does it have to be a specific 1x ring up front or can I safely use any ring?

Chain tension?

Arrrrrrrgggggghhhh!

jonny :s

Cant help sorry :oops:

but this is something which I am about to do to my 'family rides' bike so will watch with interest the replies :)

Hi Jonny

Chain guide really depends on if you are going over really rough stuff road/tow path/easy trails probably not anything rougher probably yes.

Ring size whatever you feel most comfortable with, what are you riding on the middle at the moment :?:

No it can be any ring on a 1x8 as you still have a tension from the rear mech, but single specific chainrings usually have a deeper profile on the teeth thus reducing chain skipping.

Chain tension should be the same as usual from your rear mech no difference ;)

All of the above are only my thoughts and based on my experience so not gospel :facepalm:

widowmaker":1po5sp1p said:
Cant help sorry :oops:

but this is something which I am about to do to my 'family rides' bike so will watch with interest the replies :)

Yeah - this is for my "play-bike" or my
"if I have to push it just over that crest to get to ride down that fantastic trail then sobeit" bike.

Still want some gear range as it's not a strictly DH bike.

thinking 34/36t up front, with bashguard - big range on the back 8/9spd, i dunno.

I did read this but my lappy needs updating and i couldn't see the pics properly.
http://oldglorymtb.com/how-to-build-mou ... 1x10-1x11/

Don't wanna have to splash too much cash on this 'minimalist' set-up.

kermitgreenkona88":tlceflc2 said:
Hi Jonny

Chain guide really depends on if you are going over really rough stuff road/tow path/easy trails probably not anything rougher probably yes.

Ring size whatever you feel most comfortable with, what are you riding on the middle at the moment :?:

No it can be any ring on a 1x8 as you still have a tension from the rear mech, but single specific chainrings usually have a deeper profile on the teeth thus reducing chain skipping.

Chain tension should be the same as usual from your rear mech no difference ;)

All of the above are only my thoughts and based on my experience so not gospel :facepalm:

Sounding simpler already - thank you!

I run 1x9 over bumpy stuff. Fiddled with lots of bits and pieces (chain length, B screw, mech tension, DIY etc) to come up with a chain retention solution without a special device, but nothing worked as well as I wanted. Added a Superstar chain guide, and I've not lost a chain since :D. All of this with an unramped ring up front.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=362

I found that the fear of losing my chain was really knocking my confidence when the going was fast and rough :(, so the chain guide is an essential for me :D.

If you're getting a bash for ..... er ..... bash reasons (rather than chain retention), you'll need a different kind of device to the one I use.

Regards

Same as Exeter Man above.
You'll need a chain guide, but I found 1 x 9 a really nice set-up.

Rob

One more thought on this. Is this for the Rocky Mountain in your sig? If it is, you are probably best to get a seat tube mounted guide, as a BB mounted mounted one may not play nicely with your existing setup.

Regards

Exeter Man":idrzsa0x said:
One more thought on this. Is this for the Rocky Mountain in your sig? If it is, you are probably best to get a seat tube mounted guide, as a BB mounted mounted one may not play nicely with your existing setup.

Regards

Yeah, this will be for the Rocky Mountain however it has evolved since that picture and it's ready for the next evolutionary step.

I'll get a Quick photo up of it's current form.

I was considering a seat tube mount (replacing front mech?) i've seen the roller type DH ones which look secure?

Only real worry is conventional (triple middle) ring Vs. designated 1x Rings and the safety issue of this.

jonny

Use a clutch type mech. and a full tooth chainring (or even better, one of the alternating thick/thin tooth ones) and you won't need a chain guide unless it's for DH type stuff.
Tooth count depends on where you ride, your cassette and wheel size. You don't need a bashring with a 1X setup, as the chain will protect the sprocket well enough.

Back