Raleigh Record Sprint 1981?

splooter

Retro Newbie
Hello all. New to the forum but have been using it to do a bit of research on a bike I recently purchased and renovated. I was working up in Inverness in the Scottish Highlands for a few days and just had a quick look on Gumtree to see what was for sale in the local area. This bike was for sale by the original owner from new and was in reasonable condition so thought I'd take a punt. It needed a few new things to set it right, tyres, tubes, tape, a new saddle and a major spruce and service but I think I've got it looking pretty good and it runs beautifully.

I've seen a few others of these on the forum, usually with the fancy gold crankset and brakes. Mine is a bit more modestly dressed. If anyone has a scan of the Raleigh catalogue this bike is featured in I'd love to see it. I also have the original manual for this bike which the previous owner had held onto in great condition.

Thanks for looking and any tips or recommendations on my refurb are welcome, I'm new to this game.....

Tim

Attachments

• IMG-20130808-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20130808-WA0000.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG-20130718-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20130718-WA0007.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,043
  • IMG-20130718-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20130718-WA0003.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 1,044
  • IMG-20130718-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20130718-WA0002.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMG-20130718-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20130718-WA0001.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 1,045
Hello and welcome to Retro Bike

I don't know much about Raleigh but o few of the regulars do. Looks like a nice build though...

Nice looking bike

I believe this is the 'Record' model that preceded the 'Record Sprint' model

MrW":2hlexbt8 said:
Nice looking bike

I believe this is the 'Record' model that preceded the 'Record Sprint' model

Oh really? That is interesting and explains why the others I've seen with similar paint work and decals usually have the 'sprint' lettering beside the Record decal. I've just luckily managed to get some NOS decals actually, the ones on the bike were peeling off quite badly which you can't really see in the pics.

It's a great bike to ride around Edinburgh and people often comment on it. It's a shame to think that it was left in the previous owner's garage for almost 20 years and didn't get touched and I now ride it every day. Lucky for me I guess.

I've got an early 80's catalogue with the raleigh record in somewhere, i'll dig it out and scan it.

The record was a lower range model than the record sprint, the record had the 18-23 steel frame where the sprint got the reynolds 501. And the gears/brakes/wheels/chainset were higher spec, also the sprint was a few pounds lighter. That said, the record was a good bike and yours looks like a great example. Its amazing how old raleighs survive so long untouched, i've salvaged quite a few that have been mothballed and they soon run great with some simple TLC!

RecordSprint":1p70eroa said:
I'm looking for a 1985 gold & black Raleigh Record Sprint, can anyone help me?

I'd keep an eye on fleabay...

They come up all the time, but watch out for over priced 'rare barn finds'

Good luck with your search

If you find one and need new decals, PM me!

Thanks :) I had my eye on a few nice looking prospects but the users can be a little bit funny about agreeing to sell the bike then selling to another buyer within 24 hours!

I'm really looking for the gold weiman crankset if I'm honest, I've had the Record Sprint with the 'R' decal and the later one with the shuttle decal - the first died in a car accident and the second was sent in disrepair, fixed her up and salvaged the crankset from my first love, but it buckled a month ago. Now I can't seem to find the crankset anywhere and no one wants to sell for parts, so I'm gearing up to buy my third incarnation of the RS.

So, in summary, if you have a lead to the gold crankset and the 'R' decals I'd be forever grateful!

Back