Need more friction - Xc pro thumbies

voodoorider

Old School Hero
Any suggestions, my '94 kona explosif frame was warranties a few years back, eventually built the new frame up with as much of my 94 components as possible. One change was a new xt front mech as the new frame was top pull. Now the problem I have is with the original suntour Xc pro thumbies (100% friction), when I put it on the big ring the front mech will ever so slowly move back to the small ring, ie there is nt enough friction in the shifter to not overcome the spring in the front mech.

Any suggestions on how to over come this, any way to increase the friction on the Xc shifter, or reduce the spring tension on the front mech? I guess my alternative is to find an alternate shifter.

The front mech tension adjuster was removed in the M737's so only method would be to just give the shifter a nip up as described above.

Yep, that's what I assumed, don't want force the daring and break it... Hard to replace. I did see somewhere else to take it apart and clean it anduse no lube, that can evidently sometimes help.

I have a pair of suntour shifters in front of me(no idea which power shift or something :?. Usual D ring on the end of a bolt.
Id suggest for more tension maybe seeing if you can shim a thin washer into or under the screw to enable a bit more pressure on it

I had this with a pair of Deore thumbies, I flushed them out with GT85 as they had too much grease applied, they work fine now.

Yep, a good cleaning seemed to do the trick, flushed them out with wd40 and now it holds just fine. Thanks for the link to the breakdown, going to be bookmarking that future reference. As a result had a good ride on our local trails after a light sprinkle, the first rain we've seen since like June, cooled it into the 80's, but then horribly humid.

Back