The most ordinary 1984 Peugeot

djoptix":34pn9t5u said:
I thought those Peugeot posts were 23.4 - and therefore are available from Decathlon for a tenner: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/diam-234-25- ... 26402.html

Wish they were. As far as I can measure and as accurately measure the post, it is 24mm.

I've done a bit of searching as well and from what I've discovered confirms it. I have read about the 23.4mm plus shims.

Although not perfect I can live with the one I have, for now.

Got it built up and on the road.

Was on a downer with whilst finishing off thinking I'd wasted time and money but having just taken it for a spin, I LIKE IT!

The brakes are terrifying though!

Can anyone advise what the options are in terms of improving them? Currently it has the Weinmann 500's on it with Fibrax blocks. One thing though and as can be seen in the first un-modded picture of the bike in red, is that the forks are not original. They must have come off a bike with 27" wheels as the blocks are only wiping half the wheel rim.

Options as I see it are;

Get a Wienmann type 730 (long reach) for the front and new and better blocks.
Get some correct forks and retain the 500's but get better blocks.
Change the brakes altogether, advice welcome, must be cheap !

Some pics, I'm quite chuffed with it...
DSCF3265_zpsa3691fd8.jpg

DSCF3266_zpsf80b3edd.jpg

DSCF3268_zps0c7f0783.jpg

DSCF3267_zpsbb9c962c.jpg

It is all perfectly clean and shiny. It rides quite tight. The crank arrived in the post and there are no issues with clearance or rubbing so well pleased there.

I'm going to fit some 'suicide' aux levers and new puncture resist tyres. I wouldn't want to do any speed or distance on the quite badly cracked tyres on it at the moment. I'll probably leave the bars bare.

Quite pleased with myself, it has been a long time since I messed about with bikes.

Cool - its turned out well hasn't it. Weinmann 500's eh. One of the lightest callipers money could buy, especially if you drilled them out (like some time triallists used to do!). You're a bit challenged with steel rims, they're always a bit slippery! We used to put zip ties wrapped round the fork blades and through the brake block slots. That stopped the front callipers from flexing and improved things a bit. I suppose modern brake blocks might help, but most (all?) are designed for alloy rims these days. Good luck anyway.

531 pro":b3rfb8i8 said:
Cool - its turned out well hasn't it. Weinmann 500's eh. One of the lightest callipers money could buy, especially if you drilled them out (like some time triallists used to do!). You're a bit challenged with steel rims, they're always a bit slippery! We used to put zip ties wrapped round the fork blades and through the brake block slots. That stopped the front callipers from flexing and improved things a bit. I suppose modern brake blocks might help, but most (all?) are designed for alloy rims these days. Good luck anyway.

Thanks 531 pro,

Believe it or not the wheels are actually alloys. But shiny ones!

Came up with a rather un-elegant solution to the front forks brake block alignment issue.

I crudely fabricated two drop brackets out of some ali bar, bolted them through the forks and bolted the caliper through below the fork crown. I also used some ali tube to act as a spacer so the drop brackets were not bent when tightening up the caliper.

Need to do get a smaller headed upper through bolt so as to allow the caliper to be adjusted up a bit.

Other than that, it works perfectly and I'm quite chuffed at this no cost modification using bits and bobs I already had.

DSCF3269_zps101846c3.jpg

DSCF3270_zpsc76618e1.jpg

Just waiting for the replacement tyres to be delivered and then I'll take it for a proper spin. I'm worried about those old amber walled tyres giving up on a run as they are really quite badly cracked.

I've also splashed out very little at all on a new saddle and a set of pedals (yet to be delivered and fitted).

Back