Alternative to gatorskins?

GoldSpanner

Dirt Disciple
Was considering some ultra gatorskins for my build, but they seem to have a bad rep for not being as puncture resistant as they make out. On top of that, I have ultra sports on my current bike, and would like more cornering grip. As far as I can tell the cheapo ultra sports and the gatorskins have very similar tread.

Was considering Schwalbe Durano - can anyone vouch for these, or suggest something else?

Cheers

Alex

I can't fault my Gatorskins or Conti GP 4 Seasons. There appears to have been a quality wobble a few years ago with some bad batches though.

Conti 4 Seasons have been serving me quite well in the 28mm labelled version, never a flat. Used Duranos before, can't fault them either, only a single flat ever I think, next to Lake Como, so at least I got to fix it with a view. Would recommend 25mm versions or bigger of either, so you can lower the pressure a bit, and get a nicer ride.

Customers like Schwable Durano so much so I was going to fit them to my own bike.
Vittoria Rubino/ Zaffiro Pro Tech also went down very well

Ran Rubino Pro tech's last winter to save a little weight (was running Gator Skins). I've not had a puncture on them yet.

I've got Open Corsa Pave's on my summer bike which are meant to have a good level of puncture resistance - which is lucky because they are a pig to get on my rims !

I was sold a pair of Continental Super Sport last year, which claimed to have a puncture resisting belt. They were such a nightmare to fit that I got a puncture putting them on. That was galling, but not as galling as when the puncture resisting belt failed to resist a thorn after not very many miles. That was when I discovered the fight to get these tyres on the rim was not great for freshly applied patches. I was similarly delighted* to find that the sidewall had started to perish already.

It's the last time I'll be fitting any kind of Continental tyre to bike or car.

had my 28mm gatorskins on my winterbike for 3 yrs no probs (except for fitting the first time -theyre bloody tight buggers)

now use them on all my bikes and just come back from the Alps with them (23mm) on my carbon bling and had no problems cornering full on.

Back