The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

I went for the ones with an additional blessing from the Dalai Lama. It tightens the treble somewhat.

My venerable, dare one say it, 'retro' Naim 72/HiCap/180 combination has decided to have random blurts of increased volume and/or crazy 'interference' noises... are they about to go pop?? Anything I can check? Anyone recommend people who carry out economical service/repairs to Naim products?

On another note, just bought some Sonab OA-4s, mainly for the aesthetics, as they're going in a G-Plan-themed front room we're decorating - not arrived yet, so can't comment on other qualities.

http://www.carlssonplanet.com/oa4ii.php

I concur with big cheese re. the likelyhood of volume pot problems, and I can almost certainly sort that for you at reasonable cost. The volume pot may need to come from Naim though (if it doesn't respond to a clean) as it doesn't look like a standard off the shelf part from CPC / RS etc.

You don't get a lot for your money do you? Looks like £30 worth of bits in there :D

9362488025_6dca826e7a_b.jpg

My PMs don't seem to be working. Got yours re. bank details, will get Mrs M to sort later. Ta!

coundonroad":xs1vumpa said:
I'm about to put some items on eBay, but I thought I'd put some of them here first just in case there's any interest. Can supply pics if required.

Marantz CD6000OSE KI Ken Ishiwata Signature CD player. Immaculate and very little used. In original packaging with remote, book etc. £125.

Pair Gale 4i floorstanding speakers. Excellent unmarked condition. Bi-wireable. Dry-sand filled. Black, in original packaging Heavy! £50

Audiolab 8000C MM/MC preamp. Good condition and fine-sounding pre. £80 SOLD

Pair NAD 902 power amps. Stereo/bridgeable (Bridged Mode Continuous output power into 8ohms 90W). Good, with book. £80 the pair. SOLD

Rega Planar 3 with RB200 arm. Excellent condition throughout BUT motor slows after a few minutes so needs replacement. Easy fix. £50 SOLD

Cheers, Steve

^^ I usually leave the units powered up until recently, as the noises started to occur regardless of a source input. They aren't triggered by altering the volume either. Similarly, the balance will be all to cock, then once adjusted to create the balance, it'll then blurt crazily loud in one speaker a few minutes later requiring the normal balance setting to be restored.

I've just been quoted £500 to have the whole lot serviced by an ex-Naim engineer - which is more than I paid for it in the first place. Just what would go into a full service anyway?

On another note - I have dug out my baby Naim stuff in the meantime and have forgotten how best to wire the speakers. It's a 92/FlatCap/2 x 90s. Is it one speaker per amp or right and left channels in each amplifier x 2?

mrkawasaki":il2z4w96 said:
^^ I usually leave the units powered up until recently, as the noises started to occur regardless of a source input. They aren't triggered by altering the volume either. Similarly, the balance will be all to cock, then once adjusted to create the balance, it'll then blurt crazily loud in one speaker a few minutes later requiring the normal balance setting to be restored.

I've just been quoted £500 to have the whole lot serviced by an ex-Naim engineer - which is more than I paid for it in the first place. Just what would go into a full service anyway?

On another note - I have dug out my baby Naim stuff in the meantime and have forgotten how best to wire the speakers. It's a 92/FlatCap/2 x 90s. Is it one speaker per amp or right and left channels in each amplifier x 2?

Still sounds like pots to me - or dry joints where the pots solder to the board. £500 is hilarious by the way. There's very little one can do by way of servicing - unless he's planning on replacing every component - twice.

Sounds like balance pot not volume - a squirt of contact cleaner often works wonders.

Latest posts

Back