Alan Record Headtube crack

Hmm, that is going to be difficult as there is no cylindrical end to the headtube to shrink a band around.

I suspect that frame is relegated to wall art.

I was thinking that
well, we're not dead yet, not so far from my mates is a welder who repaired an old master of mine that had a torn derailleur hanger, so I'll see what they say whilst I'm there, if I un bond the tubes then repair

Seemingly a fairly common trait with these vintage Alans - this one was on ebay yesterday....

I've read that you can bond a collar as already suggested, but in addition you can drill a hole at the top of the crack which in theory should stop it spreading further. Whether you could weld a collar on the inside rather than the outside i'm not sure but it would give you more contact area to weld / bond to. Might need to thin the headset cup down a bit but probably worth a go.
Other option may be to weld a strap externally but as a half circle.

Attachments

• Alan Split.JPG
    Alan Split.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 603
Drilling a stress relief hole might help on some frames, but on your blue frame, the crack's already all the way through the lug. :cry:

The blue middle section of the headtube is a separate tube bonded in. It should be safe from cracking, as the headset cup only fits into the lower silver cast section, which is cracked.

If you can find out which alloy the lug castings are made with, and de-bond the headtube, it would be possible to weld up the crack with the right filler rod.
Any welding around the headlug without separating the tubes will also kill any epoxy bonds in the area, making it even less rideable; only 80ºC needed.

If I understand ALANs correctly, unlike Vitus bonded frames, the tubes are threaded into the lugs and bonded so in order to separate the lower head lug you'd have to de-bond the DT/BB and TT/ST junctions too.
(Not sure if they are standard thread on both ends RH/RH, or RH/LH like turnbuckles.)

Then sand, clean, acetone and re-bond the top tube, down tube and headtube junctions simultaneously using a good quality structural epoxy, then hold the frame in a jig to keep the alignment while the glue sets.

IMHO probably not really worth it. :(

All the best,

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
47p2":2le3wpvt said:
FINNEY1973":2le3wpvt said:
...Didn't meet it's reserve as part of a 3 bike combo!

I've just noticed a small crack on the front of the Alan see pic

Looks like it's been there for a long time :shock:

Very much so, not something that you just notice unless of course you have had the bikes in a shed for years being unused as those 3 bikes sort of suggest.

Always liked these old Alans, this has put me off owning one though I must admit. Seem beautifully made but a little fragile as the years pass - real shame.

We have some very poor road surfaces where I cycle and my Alan takes it all in its stride.

I suspect a poorly fitted headset that has been forced could be a major contributor to this problem

Latest posts

Back