What Helmet Camera?

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Now that I've got myself a tidy bike for BikePark Wales etc., I wouldn't mind getting a helmet mounted camera to record my misadventures, faceplants, swearing and overall feeble attempts at getting down a few black runs.

What are my options. I know that GoPro are pretty much the dogs danglies, but I can't justify shelling out that much cash on something which looks like I've got a toaster strapped to my head, and which will only get used occasionally

Can anyone recommend any decent alternatives? I want to be able to record in HD (720p is fine) and upload to my Mac (a 2012 Pro with 8GB RAM so no problems there). I've heard good things about the Dogcam Bullet which sneaks in at under £80..

All suggestions gratefully received - apart from ones advising me to strap a camcorder to my bonce :D

daugs":u92mdwmv said:
in case not seen this where asked similar question

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=265491

I was rather put off by idea of a camera embedded in my bonse..............

Look at how many people own helmet cameras.
And now look at how many people are unfortunate enough to have a crash in the exact position which would force said camera through a helmet and into your head.
I'll take my chances ;)

I don't do all this video stuff but, from those I've seen, chest mounting often seems to give a better POV than helmet mounting. I suppose that the advantage that helmet mounting has is that you're pretty much always looking where you're going - on the other hand the chest mount view varies according to whether you're in the saddle or not.
For my liking the angle of view of a lot of this stuff is too wide - that might well make everything appear faster than to the human eye and make camera placement less critical but, unless you're viewing on a really big monitor, you end up with apparently strange perspective effects.
Same as with still photography - very wide angle lenses are more effective if you can view large prints from the correct distance.

Andy R":292tx1gc said:
I don't do all this video stuff but, from those I've seen, chest mounting often seems to give a better POV than helmet mounting. I suppose that the advantage that helmet mounting has is that you're pretty much always looking where you're going - on the other hand the chest mount view varies according to whether you're in the saddle or not.
For my liking the angle of view of a lot of this stuff is too wide - that might well make everything appear faster than to the human eye and make camera placement less critical but, unless you're viewing on a really big monitor, you end up with apparently strange perspective effects.
Same as with still photography - very wide angle lenses are more effective if you can view large prints from the correct distance.

Agreed.
I gave up with helmet mounting my gopro once i tried a chest mount. It's just so much more stable.
The seatpost mounts give a nice angle too

godders uses the seat mount for his, an interesting POV, provided it's set up low enough :LOL: otherwise it might be considered a bit "niche"

Back