Today I was mostly riding.....

i have not seen that one before james,when you getting your ass in gear and sorting a FOD for us all? and it dose not matter how many brakes i have ,i still crash . but it is not a good mountainbike ride if you dont go over the bars :D

matthew71":y7qxuyit said:
i have not seen that one before james,when you getting your ass in gear and sorting a FOD for us all? and it dose not matter how many brakes i have ,i still crash . but it is not a good mountainbike ride if you dont go over the bars :D

theredchili":3shqlp7x said:
matthew71":3shqlp7x said:

invisible ink post ? :D

Doh ! FoD ride WIP with Dave ;) the Surly is new, a do-it-all cross bike to go with my Mekk, it's got a flip flop hub so it's fixed or Singlespeed, can even hang gears off it too :shock:

thats very versatile james,are they rack mounts on the back ? and i am not sure daves cervelo will be to good around the forest,them there is his tyre choice :D

matthew71":1k97xzvp said:
but it is not a good mountainbike ride if you dont go over the bars :D

Really?

In that case I have some really great rides.

Today I was mostly testing out a Garmin 500 I just bought. A quick jaunt around the block turned into 20 miles and 1,100 ft of climbing, plus a b*gger of a headwind for the last five miles to home.

Of course, down here it wouldn't be a good road ride without a headwind.

matthew71":qwaz9a98 said:
Tell me more about the garmin neil, i rather fancy one

I've been using a 305 edge for a while and then the 500 came up in the road section for a sensible price, and as it's the GPS No1 son uses I thought I'd upgrade.

We already have the HRM and cadence sensors, so it was just a matter of fitting the new bracket and off you go.

It has three screens with data and you can select up to 7 data windows in each of the three screens, plus it records time, ascents / descents, cadence, HR, distance, temperature. You can also set up all sorts of routes and training regimes on it, but that's all a bit beyond me, and to be honest I just use it as a data collection device so that I can monitor my progress (or lack of). It will also interface with a number of power meters to give you actual measured power, rather than using an algorithm to work out theoretical power, which is what mine does.

I have my main screen set up with heart rate, plus time elapsed, time of day, distance covered and climb %. I can't remember what are on the other two screens, but speed isn't any of them. :facepalm:

With the 305, you have to subscribe to one of the on-line services like strava, in order to download the ride data, that's not the case with the 500 and I know Jon does all sorts of analysis on his ride figures. I just download all mine to strava and also to Garmins own site (as a backup).

The screen on the 500 is a lot more visible to my tired old eyes, not that the 305 is bad, it's a great little device, it's just the 500 is smaller and a bit more modern.

Latest posts

Back