Policeman guilty of assault

highlandsflyer":33kjlqpn said:
Exactly which part of the Middle East were these in????

Ok, if you want to be pedantic...

The Great Library at Alexandria' and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon; and the Roman Empire reached far into what we now call the Middle East...

...bit my point was that far greater civilisations than ours have broken down and disappeared; the current unrest in the Middle East has been going since then, it's not going to change any time soon.

The cultural devides in our society are widening at an increasing rate; the distribution of wealth is so disproportionate as to be considered obscene, and the media has been continuously dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

There is a whole underclass that has no respect for any form of law and order; gang culture, drug culture, gun culture are all rife in every major town and city, with designated 'no go' areas which have been proven by installing trackers on vehicles, the Ethnic communities which once populated the Inner Cities have migrated out to the leafy suburbs whilst the moneyed 'indiginous' population now lives in high-rise apartment blocks which are set to become the slums of the future...

...District 19 could very well become a Public Information/educational film rather than a cult Film Noir!

We_are_Stevo":19b4bjks said:
highlandsflyer":19b4bjks said:
Exactly which part of the Middle East were these in????

Ok, if you want to be pedantic...

The Great Library at Alexandria' and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon; and the Roman Empire reached far into what we now call the Middle East...

...bit my point was that far greater civilisations than ours have broken down and disappeared; the current unrest in the Middle East has been going since then, it's not going to change any time soon.

The cultural devides in our society are widening at an increasing rate; the distribution of wealth is so disproportionate as to be considered obscene, and the media has been continuously dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

There is a whole underclass that has no respect for any form of law and order; gang culture, drug culture, gun culture are all ride in every major town and city, with designated 'no go' areas which have been proven by installing trackers on vehicles, the Ethnic communities which once populated the Inner Cities have migrated out to the leafy suburbs whilst the moneyed 'indiginous' population now lives in high-rise apartment blocks which are set to become the slums of the future...

...District 19 could very well become a Public Information/educational film rather than a cult Film Noir!

Interesting, or otherwise, that may well be - and it may well be a topic for discussion.

However, I'm not getting the connection between all of that, and what appears to be the correct verdict for a police officer who decided to have another pop at a - admittedly, from the description of his behaviour, low-life - after the stable door had been shut, so to speak.

Conversely, I'd argue, that letting officers of the law getting away with such shenanigans, may well be evidence that society was heading for meltdown... what would RoboCop do...?

It's the thin end of the wedge...

I drew the comparison with past civilisations because people seem to turn a blind eye to what is going on all around them; everyone is afraid to tackle pertinent issues for fear if being branded 'racist,' and our Government would rather drag us into yet another war rather than address our own issues.

The link to the OP is that the law 'enforcers' have to practically live in an alternate reality to the law 'makers' whilst still being governed by the same laws as you and I. These scum give up their rights when they make that concious decision to live outside those laws; they shouldn't be able to take 'our' cake and eat it!

Stuff Robocop, bring on Judge Dredd

We_are_Stevo":bvc8d2sq said:
It's the thin end of the wedge...

I drew the comparison with past civilisations because people seem to turn a blind eye to what is going on all around them; everyone is afraid to tackle pertinent issues for fear if being branded 'racist,' and our Government would rather drag us into yet another war rather than address our own issues.

The link to the OP is that the law 'enforcers' have to practically live in an alternate reality to the law 'makers' whilst still being governed by the same laws as you and I. These scum give up their rights when they make that concious decision to live outside those laws; they shouldn't be able to take 'our' cake and eat it!

Stuff Robocop, bring on Judge Dredd

Thing is, if reported / complained accurately, a member of the general public would likely be found just as guilty. Isn't it a better state for society that members of the police force are at least as acountable as the general public, perhaps limited and qualified "power" during the execution of their duties maybe means they should be held to higher standards.

Surely tacit suggestions that a blind eye be turned, is more suggestive of society on the slide, rather than the sounds of a correct verdict being reached, is?

Perhaps there shouldn't have been a charge to answer in the first place?

You have two choices; abide by the law, or don't. If you choose the latter it should be accepted and understood that you are waiving any rights that those of us who choose the former enjoy!

Live by the sword, die by the sword...

We_are_Stevo":3o283bnr said:
Perhaps there shouldn't have been a charge to answer in the first place?

You have two choices; abide by the law, or don't. If you choose the latter it should be accepted and understood that you are waiving any rights that those of us who choose the former enjoy!

Not buying it - not for a New York minute.

The police are public servants, not overlords.

If a member of the general public would likely face prosecution for the same response (assuming accurate reporting / complaint of what happened), then the police should be just as accountable, if not more so.

Look at the Tomlinson case, and there's plenty of others - if the police are being given qualified and limited privilege of additional powers, in soceity, in order to do their duties, they should be just as accountable - well more so - than the general public, and yes, squeeky clean too.

Otherwise, you could easily see society descend to a scenario where they are just the puppets of political masters, or state-sponsored thugs...

edit: and just so as we're clear on this, my perspective, is not in sympathy for the spitter. My perspective is rejecting that coppers act like that, funded and provided, and given privilege by the public. If my many thousands of tax I pay per year, are providing for that, and they do so under the auspices of a democratically elected government (...), then I and plenty of others get a say in how they do so, and they bloody are accountable for their behaviour whilst on the clock. If they wanna be thugs, have a bit of attitude and slap people around a bit, then they should do what the rest of us have to - go get busted up in organised pugilism, rather than do so whilst on the job, being funded by thousands I chuck in to the pot every year.

We_are_Stevo":27wc2luu said:

Gotta side with Neil on this one...... for a change :LOL:

Copper did not abide by the law in this case, and should be duly punished in the same (if not harsher due to his public and moral responsibilities) manner

G

We_are_Stevo":1zqdhkyq said:

There is a whole underclass that has no respect for any form of law and order; gang culture, drug culture, gun culture are all rife in every major town and city, with designated 'no go' areas which have been proven by installing trackers on vehicles, the Ethnic communities which once populated the Inner Cities have migrated out to the leafy suburbs whilst the moneyed 'indiginous' population now lives in high-rise apartment blocks which are set to become the slums of the future...

I don't know where you get your information from, but it is fear mongering baloney.

Cultural divides increasing? What utter tosh. If anything the societal trend is homogeny.

Gang culture, drug culture, gun culture rife in every major town and city? Total and utter crap.

Then you mention the trend for cultural groups to assimilate and seek better housing in the suburbs as somehow connected to all this, and yet more utter tripe about some supposed 'indigenous' group, that you suggest are somehow restricted in housing choices to high rise dwelling doomed to become slums.

Complete garbage, all of it.

Massive over exaggeration and the usual scapegoating of 'immigrants' in abundance, and you then suggest we are all turning a blind eye and nothing in what you say is motivated by racism.

Well I don't agree with you, and I reckon you protest too much.

Guess what, my sister in law is West Indian, and she has spent the last twenty years out protecting idiots like you so you can talk smack on internet forums.

Enjoy.

Back