New here, need help...

I've probably actually got some paint stripper but the sand paper I'll get for free anyway. Same with the orange paint, my dad works in a factory that makes orange shelving so I'll get it sprayed with that it's this colour...

Redirack+Ltd

Yeh I was thinking sand it down to bare metal, add some primer then put the orange over the top. It's all new to me and seems really simple in my head but I'm sure I'll be on here next weekend looking for advice.

I'm not sure about the bars, I've seen bmx bars sprayed a million times though so I imagine It would just be the same.

Good work - if it's costing virtually zero and you have access to all the necessaries than your half way there....just need to get cracking on with...keep the thread updated with your progress.

And make sure you put something in the bottom bracket shell whilst your painting the frame - you don't want paint in the threads. Use a piece of foam from pipe lagging or similar, easy to cut to length & diameter.

Good evening,

On a small point, i recently started to strip paint from a frame - worked ok for a while (an hour or so) until i phoned a guy who sandblasts. 10 mins work and 2 frames done for £15. I had paid £17 for paint stripper!

Worth considering,

Richard

Hi,
I've found a shop called "bankrupt bike parts" on eBay excellent. I've ordered some 27" tyres from there twice & also a set of chromed forks.
eBay is your friend :D

just bought 6 basic tubes with good reviews for 10.99 from wiggle. fitted two and they look just like any of the others you buy. they do road and mtb in the same range. you can buy in pairs

I must give Wiggle a look - have they short valve stems?

Re Tescos - the one near me stocks some bike bits and tubes of odd sizes - presumably for kids bikes etc and they are not expensive. Always worth a look when you are shopping. I think they have started to sell MuckOff or similar too.

Richard

TGR":3o6b6544 said:
Good evening,

On a small point, i recently started to strip paint from a frame - worked ok for a while (an hour or so) until i phoned a guy who sandblasts. 10 mins work and 2 frames done for £15. I had paid £17 for paint stripper!

Worth considering,

Richard

They took it back to baremetal for you? is that £15 for both of them or each? Either way that sounds great, what kind of place should I be looking for to get this done? It'd save a hell of a lot of time I'd imagine.

Hi,

Both frames back to bare metal - pics are here -

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=248610

Total cost for two frames £15. I got the name of the guy here from a car bodyshop locally, perhaps you have someone close who might be able to point you in the right direction.

One thing you should be aware of is that if you get it done, you must keep the frames warm and dry at all times to avoid the dreaded rust appearing on the tubes. This would also apply to stripping the frames yourself.

Richard

TGR":2zubir8x said:
Hi,

Both frames back to bare metal - pics are here -

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=248610

Total cost for two frames £15. I got the name of the guy here from a car bodyshop locally, perhaps you have someone close who might be able to point you in the right direction.

One thing you should be aware of is that if you get it done, you must keep the frames warm and dry at all times to avoid the dreaded rust appearing on the tubes. This would also apply to stripping the frames yourself.

Richard

The finished bikes look amazing!
I'm gonna call around some car places today to see if I can get it done. I'll take something with me to wrap the frame in once its done and then I'll keep it in the house till I can spray it. With mine I'm hoping to keep most of the same parts so I'm hoping they come off and go on easy enough.

Back