Raleigh with Reynolds 501 frame, please help identify.

alpasty

Retro Newbie
I have this bike listed on eBay (item number 221273880437), I used it in the early 90's, and its been gathering dust in the garage since. I cleaned it up as best I could, and realised it was too small for me now, hence the sale.

I have received the following message from someone:

"Bike is a Raleigh Team Cadet from approx. 1985 - it is standard steel NOT 501. Corsa was produced in 501 but this is not a Corsa and the sticker is misleading."

I really don't want to mislead any potential buyers, but the sticker on the frame clearly states the frame is a Reynolds 501, and although I bought the bike second hand in the early 90's, the sticker looks like its always been there.

I would be really grateful if anybody could help by advising me on which model this bike is, and if the sticker is correct.

Many thanks for any help you can give. Alex

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 4,839
  • bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 4,840
  • bike9.jpg
    bike9.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 4,840
No, my bike is on the pictures in my original post, there are more pictures on the eBay listing (item number 221273880437).

It has a relatively low starting price, but there seems to be a lot of people interested in it, so I just wanted to see if anybody could shed any light on my question about the frame. I really don't want to mislead anybody, but on the other hand I can't see why it would have a Reynolds 501 sticker on it if it was just standard steel, as the comment from an eBay user suggested.

Many thanks again for any help anybody can give.

Alex

I think what Shaun was eluding to was the link to the other bike show's the tubing as 18-23 Hi Tensile steel, perhaps inferring that the 501 sticker on yours isn't original? The person who has contacted you through ebay obviously doesn't like the fact you've got it listed as 501 tubing? Perhaps modify your ebay advert?

Must admit google doesn't provide many answers but if this is just so that your ebay ad isn't seen as misleading then better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you FINNEY1973, That's what I was trying to say.......note to self to spend more time typing.

Cheers

Shaun

Thanks, sorry for misunderstanding what you were saying. Just to be clear, was the 501 frame not used for my type of bike then?

Also, does anybody know what model the bike is, and what the sticker should say about the frame for that model of bike? I find it a little strange that it would have the wrong sticker on it, as I am only the second owner and the sticker was on there when I bought it. Didn't really mean anything to me, as it was my cycling to school bike, them my work bike before the Vauxhall Chevette came along!

As you say, its probably safest to modify the eBay listing, just in case.

Thanks again,

Alex

My 10p's worth...

This is one of the range of 'Aerospace Contour' frames introduced by Raleigh in 1983/4 (I believe)

This range consisted of:

Raleigh Pulsar 18-23 Tubing
Raleigh Team Cadet 18-23 Tubing
Raleigh Quasar Reynolds 501 Tubing
Raleigh Record Sprint Reynolds 501 Tubing

I've never seen a Team Cadet built with 501 Tubing, but this doesn't necessarily mean that this bike wasn't built with this tubing...

I say this based on personal experiences of 'odd Nottingham builds' that I've owned. These were bikes that left Nottingham looking 'standard' but having specification that the brochure didn't mention...

I had a 1983 Raleigh Pursuit with 18-23 Tubing brand new and it had Weinmann Concave Black alloy annodised rims and Weinmann 500 black annodised quick release brakes. Neither of these options were standard, and these were a significant upgrade from the Raleigh 700c chromed steel rims and generic Raleigh alloy brake callipers.... However, the price was just about the same as the 'standard' model. This bike was explained by the Raleigh dealer as a 'Friday afternoon special' !!

So, what I am getting at is that it 'could' be possible that some Reynolds 501 Tubing Team Cadets left Nottingham, on the basis they could have been Quasar's or Record Sprints if they had a different paint job.

Looking at your eBay photo's, the specification suggests it is a standard Team Cadet. (It's definitely not a 501 Team Corsa, as I own one of those)

I'd be inclined to make an amendment to the listing, suggesting that it may be Reynolds 501, but it also might be 18-23 Hi Ten tubing. That way you cover yourself.

Thanks so much for your help everyone. I cant seem to change the listing but I will add a notice to the bottom of the description.

Thanks again,

Alex

Yes, I am pleased with the result. I think it also helped to offer delivery, its going to London (I am in Devon), a lot of bikes on eBay seem to be collection only, which limits the quantity of potential buyers. I even had enquiries from Denmark and Germany!

Thanks again for your help.

Alex

Back