Tioga Farmer John Tyres - Copies

walleater":tl97hwsl said:
Why would anyone copy a really bad tyre? :LOL:

Simple, back in the day there was this trading company in Japan called Marui Ltd./Oriental Boeki. They owned the Tioga name and marketed the products. They had big dollar contracts with riders like Tomac and that helped sell product regardless of how good or bad all of us think it was. Other factories tried to jump on that success with "like" products.

Ever notice how similar many of the WTB tires were to the Panaracer Smoke and Dart?

gm1230126":1m309p1w said:
walleater":1m309p1w said:

Simple, back in the day there was this trading company in Japan called Marui Ltd./Oriental Boeki. They owned the Tioga name and marketed the products. They had big dollar contracts with riders like Tomac and that helped sell product regardless of how good or bad all of us think it was. Other factories tried to jump on that success with "like" products.

Ever notice how similar many of the WTB tires were to the Panaracer Smoke and Dart?

+1. Naive seeing Tomac with a straw in his mouth advertising these cool tractor tires (along with the Cousins I think) I just had to have them - which cost a pretty penny. The pain fooling yourself they were good and the pain of chucking tires away which never seemed to wear out.

Woz":w4g0cj2t said:
gm1230126":w4g0cj2t said:
walleater":w4g0cj2t said:

+1. Naive seeing Tomac with a straw in his mouth advertising these cool tractor tires (along with the Cousins I think) I just had to have them - which cost a pretty penny. The pain fooling yourself they were good and the pain of chucking tires away which never seemed to wear out.

Never had that particular problem, the beads blew out or the tread delaminated on the couple of sets of Psychos I had the misfortune to own. Vee Rubber still do a Psycho pattern tyre which is probably kosher for an actual steel bead Psycho since I note Vee Rubber made Tioga's tubes too.

I know I know... super old post. But I'm bringing it back up with undeniable proof! Behold Kenda (Framer Juan's)*

*the name of this tire is fictional

Attachments

• 20210923_124818.jpg
    20210923_124818.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back