Rear V-brake set up on the Girlfriends bike

fattiman

Senior Retro Guru
I was struggling with this for ages yesterday.
The bike is a 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper with a V-brake set up (XT) I cant seem to get the snappy feel, the lever returns slowly to is resting position rather than "springing back"
I have tried 3 different pairs of V-brakes, replaced all cables and tried 2 brake levers - all returning the same result. Any ideas?

Posts nice and greasy? Noodles? Cable routing got any trapped bits or tight bends? Stick a pic up.

Yep checked all the usual, just cant figure it out, even changed the "pin location" on the brake mounts.

No chance the outer is gear outer instead of brake? I was under the impression gear outer has a narrower inside diameter and different internal structure, therefore increased friction with a brake cable running through it?

Are you sure the posts haven't been slightly bell ended through over tightening or the securing bolt is rubbing against the brake arm? What about the little tension screws in the bottom of the brake arms? Did you clean up i.e, grind the ends of the brake outers after cutting to remove any rough edges?

Some brake arms/bosses/bolts are 'less compatible' than others...

...when you tighten the bolt is the washer touching the bush in the brake arm only or is it touching the arm itself at all?

Had this same issue myself in the past and all I had to do was fit smaller washers behind the bolts?

fattiman":3h1dh238 said:
Found some Avid v-brakes in the shed which work perfectly! :cool:

Excellent. Tell her you have just saved her £50 for the Maguras and expect to be suitably rewarded...

Back