Name these crankarms please...

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Can't find anything on velobase etc to identify these crankarms. Don't wish to pre-empt any opinions but I'd always assumed Campag. They're not new, just polished. Only markings are close to the base of each arm "65" which is linked to the length, they're 165's.

Any thoughts or indeed knowledge of what these could be would be most welcome.

Cheers all...

Attachments

• IMAG0416.jpg
    IMAG0416.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 705
  • IMAG0415.jpg
    IMAG0415.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 705
  • IMAG0414.jpg
    IMAG0414.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 705
They certainly look like Chorus Shaun. I find it difficult to distinguish between Chorus, Croce D'Aune, indeed there's some Xenon & Avanti Cranks that look very similar as well. One common factor though is the stamps on the rear of the crankarms - size, thread, year all that malarky. These don't - simply the 65 up by the knuckle.

They aren't Sachs New Success either as they have the stamped arms in the same vein as Campy.

Oh and these aren't a patch on Tel's polishing - I wish he did that full time - I'd be delivering a box full of stuff for polishing :)

My Knowledge is a bit shaky here as it's not my era but Campag always had a policy of over-engineering and then when it all worked started removing material, either to make it lighter, more aerodynamic or likely to sell more kit

Those crank arms look bigger than they need to be so I would have guessed earlier Chorus rather than later / croc D'aune or even later Corus, not to mention Athena......I get even more confused over the dust caps / extractor bolts .....

Nightmare.

Shaun

I thought it might be Athena but the shoulder where the arm joins the spider looks different
The stamped number looks to be 165 not 65 which would confirm the length you quoted

file.php

P1050584.jpg

That shoulder and the flatter shaft looks similar to this Sachs New Success

5165349F-B536-4D58-B2BA-AEA5F0F1F3FB.jpeg

Confusion reigns easily with many of these I reckon. I can't tell the difference that's for sure. BCD is 135, I should have mentioned that. The main bit that confuses me is the stamps on the back of the arms. From all the info on velobase, all of the suspects have the standard Campag lettering & codes on the back of the arms. These have the 65 near the knuckle as it attaches to the BB spindle - does this mean they aren't even campag??? The cranks are on my Rick Powell which I've had a few years now & came with the frame when I bought it so it's difficult to age it.

Close Kermit and good find - rather hideous those!!

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... &AbsPos=17 shows them without the pattern - top arm is very different though the rest is very close indeed.

I've got New Success cranks and a comparision shows they are almost identical to my obviosuly untrained eye but again, the Sachs stuff is stamped in the same place as Campag.

Am massively puzzled by this - it really shouldn't but it's annoying me :x

Back