1989 Raleigh Banana Team Bike - Dave Rayner

Anita Smith emailed me the attached pic of 'my' bike in action BITD - I really like this one, nice one Anita !

Attachments

• Top-023.jpg
    Top-023.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 662
Looking at the pic above, got me thinking, what sort of bike bottle was used by the team back in '89 - they seem to be just plain simple black ones, does anyone know any more details about the 'right' bottle. I did add a cage in 91 which colour matches the original.

I went from 42 23 to 39 25 and I felt like I could ride up the side of a house by comparison.

citrixccea":2mj3n3ys said:
Looking at the pic above, got me thinking, what sort of bike bottle was used by the team back in '89 - they seem to be just plain simple black ones, does anyone know any more details about the 'right' bottle. I did add a cage in 91 which colour matches the original.

I did have one from the team, I was given it by a mechanic at a Milk Race stage finish when I was a kid after asking for some team stickers they where handing out. Will dig though all my old stuff you may be lucky, as I dont remember throwing it out.

ColnagoC59":2h0ysa6m said:
citrixccea":2h0ysa6m said:

I did have one from the team, I was given it by a mechanic at a Milk Race stage finish when I was a kid after asking for some team stickers they where handing out. Will dig though all my old stuff you may be lucky, as I dont remember throwing it out.

Cracking story, and I'll wait patiently! What colour is it/was it?

I've never been given anything that cool, although a mechanic at the Kelloggs in Newcastle around '93 showed me to toe-in my delta's so they didn't squeal as much! I was very grateful!

Good to see it getting out on the road. I've had my 88 version out a few times now and rides very nicely indeed. I took it to my local Raleigh shop and they loved it. You are right about the gearing. It does feel a bit tall by today's ratios. I have just returned from Devon where I took my Raleigh Panasonic with deltas on - they did squeak quite a bit and once again the tall gears meant some struggles.

Yes, I've got a couple of ideas for what I'd like to do in 2014, and it was not possible as it was. The 39t ring fits a treat, I've just a little fettling to do with the freewheel, but I owe a big thanks to "Old Ned" for his help (and parts).

My concerns that I was deviating away from 'spec' are unfounded, the man who "knows" says 39t and 24 is right!

I've got a friend who's just bought his first road bike, and complained that it was "a bit high geared" after his MTBs - I had a look and he was running 34 x 26....

Alpine spec sounds fine by me :)

Back