tyre choices - best of both worlds

thats a good point actually, just have heard a lot of talk about narrow slicks on mountain bikes so was thinking 1.75 was a good compromise. but Im not worried about the size exactly. I spend most of my time off-road so dont do a lot of road riding. mind you, the state of our roads I reckon I'll need full offroad tyres :LOL: (I live in an area with a lot of farms and rough roads)

I know about best of both not being brilliant at either but to be honest Im not overly worried as when I was riding my giant I had cheapo offroad tyres on it and that was doing a 13 mile trip on-road. just thinking about something a little better. I just had the tyres on it because it spent most of its time off-road. (not got a motorbike at the moment so cycling will be my main transport). it will be predominantly used on the road, its just nice to know it can be taken off the road when I want.

I am debating about just getting some slicks/semi slicks but those splashbacks are looking quite appealing.

Just done a ride today on 1.9 city jets as ive just set up a bike for winter road use. All on road and very comfy but quick enough. 2 mins slower than my road bike over 25 miles. Not sure about off road though.

bikey :)":2c7vd6rt said:
Ordered a pair of Continental Traffic for a pal a few months back. They are specified exactly according to your needs. I found them very smooth and quiet rolling on the tar when I had a go. A wee bit over your budget but certainly worth considering as they look like they will last for ages. They are offered in 1.9 and 2.1.

I have had these on the commuting bike nice and quiet and smooth rolling and good on the rough stuff too, would recommend them :cool:

Schwalbe Smart Sams are also an option. Similar to the Contis in that they have a closely spaced central tread to roll well on tarmac.

The key question is, do you want an off road tyre that works on roads, or a road tyre that works off road?

Regards

Just got a pair of splashbacks.. Narrow tires with knobbies are hard to find these seem to be a good fit, excited to try them out on our hard pack trails later today.

definitely will be a case of road tyres that can handle off road (rather than other way round). this one won't be an off road bike that much, Ive got my marin for that, it was just a thought that Id like it to be able to use on light offroad terrain for the nicer evenings on the way home from work. got a lot of countryside around but to be honest the roads I use aren't what you would call city roads :LOL: . mostly narrow farm lanes and that type of thing which is where the off road will come in handy.

think I might end up getting a couple different pairs if I can afford it and see what ones I prefer. but will definitely need some with the ability to handle light mud and gravel since thats what most of the roads are made of here.

I've used Continental Travel Contact for some time now.
Work off road too, bit slower than a knobbly off road in the mud and slight snow but still usable.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... tact.shtml

Better than the Splashback (which are not great on the road, not bad mind, but will wear out quickly)
You need puncture protection if you commute, Splashbacks puncture on thorns.

How about Schwalbe Marathons? Bomb proof on the road, and a little bit of tread to work with off road. I've 32mm versions on my road/touring bike, and they're fine on the green run in my local trail centre. Would probably be just about alright on the blue too. Definitely not the red, and not in mud either.

Regards

Back