Ti Raleigh Team SOLD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ti Raleigh Team Professional 1982 Campagnolo Record Grou

Thanks for the interest, have sourced another decal. Bike provisionally sold.

Original owner confirms bike handbuilt, custom fit at the Lightweight Division in Nottingham. The Worksop lightweight production ended in 1981, as I'm sure you know. See Bikemeister2000 (a former Raleigh product manager) posts on the subject.

SBDU was not the only facility making custom built framesets, and less so as SBDU was incorporated entirely into Nottingham as BMX and the bonded tubesets were developed.

It does make me chuckle when I read all the tosh by 'SBDU' experts and similiar collectors when they talk about frames and bikes. Mostly its from people who have absolutely no hands on knowledge of either the factory or team structure.

I rode for Raleigh 1992-97, firstly as a BMX rider, then as a road and off road rider. I can tell you a thing or two about SBDU and Team bikes. Prepare to have your preconceptions turned inside out!

I had several versions of the SBDU and the LU bikes and I can tell you from a riders point of view - we couldnt care less which one we rode. We rode what we were told to ride, and to be blunt I couldnt see or feel any appreciable difference between the two.

An important thing to remember when you're buying an SBDU bike is that they were mostly raced hard, usually very hard indeed. Generally the bikes would only last a season. I knew a prominent rider who would go through 3-4 bikes a season on 30k + miles. Team bikes were ridden to destruction, we really didnt care about them, at all. The Kellogs series bikes we used, for instance, were chucked in and out the back of vans, the odd dent or scrape we didnt care. Team bikes were raced until every single bit of zip and strength were worn out of them and then 'scrapped' by the mechanics for the next season. Likely most of those that turn up on Ebay (and doubtless here) they have had that same extrememly hard life, and are really just musuem pieces and not much use for riding. You certainly wouldnt get much out of one in a sprint or proper climb. A lot of ex team mechanincs have probably done very well flogging em though!

I only own two SBDU bikes - a 1983 Raleigh Team Burner and an ex Malc Elliot road bike which was never raced. They are both boxed and like the mechanics I'll be keeping em for my pension plan!

So to all the SBDU snobs out there, the bike you have has probably been battered from pillar to post, used, roughly abused and is mechanically 'done in'. I used to wonder why there was so many refinishing and decal vendors for the Team Bikes. Its pretty obvious looking at most of the refurbed ones they have had a very hard life. Another word of warning - our mechanics were very fond of cold setting crashed and damaged frames, and splaying the triangle for more gears, even the 753's. They had no shame!

To us they were just tools of the trade, and the majority of riders battered them to bits. I'd like to hear more from ex Raleigh employees and riders about the Team Bikes. To me, that 'insider' view is the only reliable, informed source there is.

Thanks for your input, but I dont want the thread derailed by an SBDU debate. There are other forums for that, try the Yahoo! Group for instance.

Baz Senior":4vs3d9xc said:
It does make me chuckle when I read all the tosh by 'SBDU' experts and similiar collectors when they talk about frames and bikes. Mostly its from people who have absolutely no hands on knowledge of either the factory or team structure.

I rode for Raleigh 1992-97, firstly as a BMX rider, then as a road and off road rider. I can tell you a thing or two about SBDU and Team bikes. Prepare to have your preconceptions turned inside out!

I had several versions of the SBDU and the LU bikes and I can tell you from a riders point of view - we couldnt care less which one we rode. We rode what we were told to ride, and to be blunt I couldnt see or feel any appreciable difference between the two.

An important thing to remember when you're buying an SBDU bike is that they were mostly raced hard, usually very hard indeed. Generally the bikes would only last a season. I knew a prominent rider who would go through 3-4 bikes a season on 30k + miles. Team bikes were ridden to destruction, we really didnt care about them, at all. The Kellogs series bikes we used, for instance, were chucked in and out the back of vans, the odd dent or scrape we didnt care. Team bikes were raced until every single bit of zip and strength were worn out of them and then 'scrapped' by the mechanics for the next season. Likely most of those that turn up on Ebay (and doubtless here) they have had that same extrememly hard life, and are really just musuem pieces and not much use for riding. You certainly wouldnt get much out of one in a sprint or proper climb. A lot of ex team mechanincs have probably done very well flogging em though!

I only own two SBDU bikes - a 1983 Raleigh Team Burner and an ex Malc Elliot road bike which was never raced. They are both boxed and like the mechanics I'll be keeping em for my pension plan!

So to all the SBDU snobs out there, the bike you have has probably been battered from pillar to post, used, roughly abused and is mechanically 'done in'. I used to wonder why there was so many refinishing and decal vendors for the Team Bikes. Its pretty obvious looking at most of the refurbed ones they have had a very hard life. Another word of warning - our mechanics were very fond of cold setting crashed and damaged frames, and splaying the triangle for more gears, even the 753's. They had no shame!

To us they were just tools of the trade, and the majority of riders battered them to bits. I'd like to hear more from ex Raleigh employees and riders about the Team Bikes. To me, that 'insider' view is the only reliable, informed source there is.

Hi Would like to see know more on the team burner as I still have one :D

All I know about the Team Burners are that they are worth a lot more than a good Road bike! I saw an NOS boxed Tange tubed version sell for £1150 at a bike auction for charity.

The holy grail for any BMX collection is of course the Reynolds tubed SBDU
version which was only available to team riders and one off special builds
at Gerry's discretion. They are extremely rare. Who knows what they're worth? If Baz Senior ever wants to sell his I know half a dozen ppl would be first in line with cheque books and boxing gloves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back