Just when I thought ebay couldn't get any greedier..........

raidan73

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
They are now going to charge final value fees based on sale price plus shipping costs :roll: :x

Re: Just when I thought ebay couldn't get any greedier......

Not unexpected with the way people were inflating the shipping costs to circumvent the fees.

FMJ":1arr36lo said:
Not unexpected with the way people were inflating the shipping costs to circumvent the fees.

True, but it won't stop that as they'll still only give a percentage of it back to ebay.

This amongst other reasons is why I prefer to use Gumtree...

raidan73":340zf4vw said:
True, but it won't stop that as they'll still only give a percentage of it back to ebay.

Why wouldn't it stop? If ebay is now taking a cut of the final price including shipping, there's no longer an incentive to jack the shipping cost and either set the BIN lower or expect a final auction price that's lower than the going price by a factor of the inflated shipping cost minus the actual cost.

I saw this this morning too.

PayPal are holding a load of money for 21 days for every sale I've made this week. It's due to me having a fairly new account apparently.
The first 20 items I sold, frames etc fairly expensive stuff that I've received 100% positive feedback for doesn't seem to prove that I'm trustworthy I guess, either that or they like to hold everyone's money to make interest on it. Doing a search seems to suggest it happens to a lot of people.
Anyway, I've emptied every penny that I can from my PayPal business account, so they can't earn interest on it,which would be far more than the money their holding. I'm sure they couldn't care less but it makes me feel better :p

Rampage":1ie3i792 said:
PayPal are holding a load of money for 21 days for every sale I've made this week. It's due to me having a fairly new account apparently.

This is more than simply annoying, the funds are held a needlessly long time and it takes way to many transactions to get above the escrow/hold. I suspect that it is illegal, here in the states at any rate because the seller is not compensated for the time that the funds are held. But what is crazy to me is that even after the buyer has left positive feedback, effectively closing the transaction, the funds are still held which I believe will be where Ebay/Paypal will eventually lose in civil court. Not that I am aware of a class action suit but it seems likely it will occur.

Paying a commission on shipping bugs me too.

Rant over

Steven

The take it off via paypal so the paypal fee included the shipping but now the final valuation fee also included shipping so effectively ebay, that owns paypal is getting 2 cuts of the shipping fee.

Whilst on the subject of evilbay, and I'm not sure if it's still the case, there were certain categories where they capped the postage cost to try and stop people over inflating it and there were several times when I had to increase my starting price as the actual shipping cost (without allowing anything for packaging, time, fuel or whatever) was well above the maximum I could charge :x

lewisfoto":i3nv0n4c said:
Rampage":i3nv0n4c said:

This is more than simply annoying, the funds are held a needlessly long time and it takes way to many transactions to get above the escrow/hold. I suspect that it is illegal, here in the states at any rate because the seller is not compensated for the time that the funds are held. But what is crazy to me is that even after the buyer has left positive feedback, effectively closing the transaction, the funds are still held which I believe will be where Ebay/Paypal will eventually lose in civil court. Not that I am aware of a class action suit but it seems likely it will occur.

Paying a commission on shipping bugs me too.

Rant over

Steven

I think it's unlawfull too.
I'd love to see a class action!

Another £30 is 'on-hold' from today so I've canceled my remaining listings and will relist from another account. I've lost maybe £8 in listing fee's but at least no more money will be held.

Latest posts

Back