£6k to blow on a car - 700 miles a week use

RadNomad":2wfy9lbr said:
Pyro Tim":2wfy9lbr said:
RadNomad":2wfy9lbr said:
Ah, the very same BMW Group which builds better MINIs in Britain than the British did.

The BMW ones are shit! Don't have the soul of the old ones

Just being provocative ;) The MINI on the right i have owned for over 20 years, the MINI on the left is my daily driver. The one on the left is faster, safer, more reliable, more comfortable and has lower emissions hence from most rational perspectives is the better car. The one on the right is laughably dated but i absolutely LOVE it :LOL: I think the new MINIs do have some of the old magic though (cute, nippy, fun, awesome handling etc), i was a sceptic too before living with one.

I've lived in one, as my wife had a One. The ride was crap, it wasn't that nippy, and felt heavy. The old one was designed for max space in a small car. The modern one is tiny space in a medium sized car and the seats are awful. Plus it's a hairdressers car.

My 89 mini was fantastic, you didn't need to drive it fast to feel fast, went round corners like it was on rails, and I got 5 people into it reasonably comfortably. They'd even fixed the flaws of the early mechanicals and electrics of the older ones. I even ached less after 10 hours at the wheel of it than I did after 4 hours as a front seat passenger in the modern one

Pyro Tim":7au9zey8 said:
RadNomad":7au9zey8 said:
Pyro Tim":7au9zey8 said:
The BMW ones are shit! Don't have the soul of the old ones

Just being provocative ;) The MINI on the right i have owned for over 20 years, the MINI on the left is my daily driver. The one on the left is faster, safer, more reliable, more comfortable and has lower emissions hence from most rational perspectives is the better car. The one on the right is laughably dated but i absolutely LOVE it :LOL: I think the new MINIs do have some of the old magic though (cute, nippy, fun, awesome handling etc), i was a sceptic too before living with one.

I've lived in one, as my wife had a One. The ride was crap, it wasn't that nippy, and felt heavy. The old one was designed for max space in a small car. The modern one is tiny space in a medium sized car and the seats are awful. Plus it's a hairdressers car.

My 89 mini was fantastic, you didn't need to drive it fast to feel fast, went round corners like it was on rails, and I got 5 people into it reasonably comfortably. They'd even fixed the flaws of the early mechanicals and electrics of the older ones. I even ached less after 10 hours at the wheel of it than I did after 4 hours as a front seat passenger in the modern one

Righto then. Funny how those sh*t, soulless cars with crap ride sell so well though.
Maybe try a CooperS if you haven't already, same 0-60 as an old M3, fast, well equipped, fun by the bucket load.

I prefer women, so no, I haven't tried a CooperS, nor will I. They sell to women and poofs. Everything has a market ;)

I look after a first Gen BMW MINI Cooper for one of my customers. Not the best designed car in the world, and the South American Chrysler sourced engine is a bit rough, but they're genuinely well made - every last nut, bolt and fastener is exquisitely finished. Get a good one and you're laughing, but for 6 grand you stand a chance of getting a dog.

And that's the bigger issue - 6 grand is fairly low rent and whatever awesome make tickles your fancy is liable to provide you with a duffer at that price. With only 6 bag of sand it's far better to choose your car on a case by case basis, rather than buy a specific model simply because someone else swears allegiance to the brand. For 6k you're as liable to get a shocking BMW/Toyota/whatever prestigious brand people blindly get a boner over, as you area good 'un.

The Fiat has 'gone wrong' already - DPF light came on, it regenerated as it should then 300 miles later 'engine failure' light is on and wont go away. A quick look via a Snap-on reader says DPF.

Its back to the dealer, either they didnt tell the software that the oil has been changed, or maybe the DPF is blocked but its not good for them or me...

Is it a wet system with a liquid catalyst? As well as replenishing the fluid and resetting the 'counters' they need to clean it replace the DPF. It won't regenerate indefinitely.

Chopper1192":hqqczjc1 said:
Is it a wet system with a liquid catalyst? As well as replenishing the fluid and resetting the 'counters' they need to clean it replace the DPF. It won't regenerate indefinitely.

It sends fuel through the system when its time to burn

I'd rather it was removed anyway.

Back