best tip/skip/cheap cheap find?

velomaniac":flf59tgy said:
Pace on a dump says stolen then dumped to me.

Brought in by a chap in a new Mercedes ML, along with a stack of bits "I've bought a new Carbon bike" according to the chaps at the tip.

If he's nicking bikes, he's making a fine living on it! :D

92 Marin Team Issue with XTR, Machine Tech levers, Cook Bros purple cranks, Hope hubs, Hope disk brakes and Mavic ceramic coated rims.

About 15 others including a Raleigh M-Trax titanium, Rockhopper, plus Dolan Cougar and Peugeot 531 tubed road bikes.

Source starting to dry up now as more people are aware that they can sell bikes via ebay and Gumtree rather than dump them, as interest in cycling increases.

Found this big old beastie for less than a tenner on ebay locally and bagged it just for the old U-brake and levers.It actually checks out okay,with new chain,cables and tyres should make a decent old hack,I can't bring myself to strip it down.

9631963214_1edc9a44bd_b.jpg

hamster":22kz8xoa said:
Pal of min who works in landfill engineering picked up a Pace RC200 on a tip.

Gits!

I've worked at landfills for over 12 years and never had a bike on the tip that wasn't bent beyond recognition!

:cry:

there always seem to be a few when i go to the tip that are absolutely fine or just missing stupid things like peddles, made a fair few quid from my free tip bikes :)

wont let me have them at tip :( bet they sell them on, had plenty of free motorbikes lol not may push bikes though

id love a free motorbike ! just lost my licence though so probably not a good idea - don't even know if ill have to take the test for 125cc etc though - was on a 33bhp restricted licence and probably wont be riding 600cc bikes again until im 25 :(
they know im the local bike nut at the tip, everytime I go and drop a load of garden stuff there they offer me some sort of bike, think ill start going more :) could do with a set of wheels .... hmm :)

We used to be able to take bikes from the dump. but now they wont let us. they have a big container where all the salvageable bikes go and the local recycling place has them to fix up and sell. its a contract they have. I should know as I work there :LOL: but tight gets wont let me have any free bikes :roll: even after spending all my time working on them.

shame as we get some serious nice ones in, quite a few giants, a GT or 2 now and then (had a nice outpost we completely fixed up), the cheaper bikes come in by the dozens, some of them still in boxes not even assembled. have had a few muddyfoxes, nice raleighs, loads of peugeot road bikes, one pair of them needed absolutely no work other than a clean and lube. had an old saracen tufftrax in, was a minter until we realised the frame was bent. but seriously some of the bikes that people just dump is unbelievable.

i know, its absolutely daft.
ive picked up a challenge blizzard. brand new. never used. not a scratch or mark on it. it had the left crankarm missing for some odd reason. picked it up. chucked a arm on that was in the parts bin and sold it.
had a carrera subway in mint working condition from there too. rode it for 6 months then got rid, never spent a penny on it and sold it for £60.
i occasionally get boxes of parts from there too. they just give them to me for free and if im not down there theyll put the one or two good ones behind the hut for me for when i do go down and the crap stuff theyll chuck into the bin. i usually do a tip trip once a week getting rid of stuff i dont want. gotta take my old desk down soon so im guessing ill get something else next time.

used to work in halfords and if any bikes came in to have new bits fitted id get dibs on the any parts taken off if the customer didnt want them back.

i help at a recycle place to lol, get some mint stuff in there, i will be going a few days a week soon so will have a good dig, got plenty of old road bikes an a few marin mtbs a fuji , trials bikes, theres been mavic an xt wheels handed in lol i get tempted by bikes they have every time i go in.

think best motorbike i had free was a 70s/80s cb250 put some points on it an ran like a super dream ;) also had a pair of honda cammino peddle an pop bikes that had a few 100 mile an never been on the road were used to train people on a car park, me being young an daft at the time used them as field bikes :(

Back