Englund / Eko Total Air Carts Help Needed

Uncle Monty":1udbu24b said:
How are you getting on with those cartridges Phil?

Chris

Nowhere yet - just had a long weekend away.
There is an insert pushed in the end of the rod which I need to remove before i can get them completely to bits. Not back at work until thursday, so might have it done tomorrow.

Just to finish this thread off, attached is a photo of a disassembled cart. I didn't have to remove the insert out of the rod, it was just burred over badly, so I just filed it to the same diameter as the rod so it would fit through the seals.

It's nice and simple inside with just a needle valve for damping.
I shall knock some drawings up for others future reference, and soon start a new diy damper thread.

EnglundCartAssy.jpg

The shaft is indeed thinwall steel tube. The piston head is one piece of plastic with the hole for the needle valve and exhaust machined in it. The piston head piece is permanently attached to the shaft, looks like it has been inserted into the shaft, then the shaft top has been rolled over to secure it.

Nothing very clever.

Hope you don't mind me posting this here. I have picked up a pair of Judys with Englund cartridges. They look different. The short rods with springs are held in with the circlips and bolted into the lowers. The cartridges appear to have aluminium rods and around 90 mm of travel.
DSC03560.jpg

Apologies unearthing this thread again. I now have a couple of pairs of these and have still not had any luck finding installation instructions for a Judy SL. Some of the old links for tuning and set up do still work.

Is anything missing from the lower pair in the photo? The top pair are as I removed them from a fork - I don't quite understand the springs and can't make out if they have been installed in the correct order or orientation. Are these to do with rebound? The upper pair have a piston stroke of around 85mm, the lower ones 55mm.

Cheers - Chris.

Something doesn't look right. I've got a nos set and a used set so have instructions. Will try to remember to scan and send.

I see this thread has been around a while.

I just bought a Giant ATX 990 with a set of these in the Judy XC's. Mine are just like the bottom pair in Uncle Monty's photo. No extra springs or nothing. I accidentally popped one of the dummy rods out of the carts but from what I can tell this should be okay. I have cleaned them up and hopefully they will hold air when my pump arrives.

Mine seem very stiff, I couldn't cycle them easy by hand with them out. They seem okay back in the fork without air in them.

I found the White Brothers ultralight manual pretty good to get info out off.

Ryan

Back