Are all reynolds 531 bikes light? solved

Re: Are all reynolds 531 bikes light?

When I think back over thirty plus years of cycling where I called all the shots on what I ride, my main interest in weight was as a courier. I have never been a competitive cyclist of any measure. The main influence weight had on me was hauling a bike up kerbs, over potholes, up and down stairs, or into foyers. Flickability and ease of manualling actually just as influential on the racers I used as the mountain bikes I switched to. I started looking at making my MTBs lighter after the shock of how heavy they were relative to my road bikes. The trails I used back in the day were not bike friendly, they were narrow sheep trails or walking trails. Things were very different back then.

Now the concern with keeping the weight down is much more to do with the lift in and out of the back of the wagon. That is the only time I really feel the weight of a bike, I don't flick bikes around so much on these prepped trails or bother thanks to forks soaking up a lot of what I once wished to avoid. Were I cycling road nowadays the same necessity to lift the weight a bit over road features would probably dictate something shy of 30lbs but I am happy to get off and walk up the steeper inclines and could care less about speed.

chris667":1g3hk4yz said:
It's always great to fiddle around with bikes, but if you are good enough at cycling to be able to go faster just by making your bike 1kg lighter, you will be able to get a sponsor to pay for the upgrade. ;-)

:LOL:

Rotating weight is the best kind to lose. Losing wheel weight is very noticeable under acceleration

I am lucky that in the shed I have carbon (canyon cf slx approx 7.2kg), a Peugeot perthus pro (753) and my old vitus 979 from my racing days, and I love riding each one of them. The canyon is by far the best in hilly terrain, but for casual rides the Peugeot or vitus is always my first choice. Call it 'feel', but there is just something about a steel frame that feels alive. Carbon is lighter but has a more damped chunky Sensation feel about it, probably due to the larger diameter frame tubes. The Vitus is flexy but feels faster than the canyon, even though if you look at the riding times on some of my favourite routes is is slower. The reality is that if you are up against a stopwatch that carbon is best but for sheer riding pleasure a quality slim steel bike cannot be beaten even if it is heavier than the latest technology so don't ditch the 531!

Just to update, the bike is 10kg, more than light enough for me.

Here are a few photos I quickly took:

Y7fwkYd.jpg

8UYviWc.jpg

w9C07e4.jpg

I love it. I was thinking of getting new tyres, any ideas on which colours would look good?

One more question, does anyone know how to clean the handlebar? Right now it looks a mess with all this sticky stuff:
7iCZ3z2.jpg

GnM3RTb.jpg

A good buy I think !!!

I would have thought some white spirits would get the sticky stuff off.

Tyre colour depends on the look you want and what sort of riding you want to do, and what colour the bartape/seat will be.

I had amberwalls on my bike, they looked nice. I have changed to black which gave more tyre choice but I am not keen on the look or the large branding you get on slick tyres.

I was thinking of getting pure black or white walled tyres, and some leather black handlebar tape, but only doing it to the brake lever how it is now. The current tape is completely worn, and it was put on very badly (even by my standards, and I know nothing about bikes!). I'll probably keep the current seat until I find a better one.

Anyway, the bike right now is in perfect riding condition, but I think I'll head to a bike shop soon and get a full service just in case.

This website has been a huge help, so thank you everyone.

Are the wheels 700c ?

I got some black cotton bartape for mine for £5 and its comfy and look fine, a little cheaper than leather.

widowmaker":2g3vt1pc said:
Are the wheels 700c ?

I got some black cotton bartape for mine for £5 and its comfy and look fine, a little cheaper than leather.
Yeah, 700x23c the tyre says. Where'd you get the bartape?

Back