Wheel upgrade recomendations

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all

Another newbie upgrade question :)

I am running the original wheels on my 85 Raleigh Clubman and I think its time for an upgrade, which will also allow me to replace the freewheel with a more climbing friendly range of gears.

The originals wheels are 27 x 1 1/4 Weinmann with Maillard hubs and a 6 speed Suntour cassette.

I assume it will be easier to fit some 700c wheels (assuming I can get some brakes to allow for the different drop). Or are there 27 x 1 1/4 that are available to allow me to use the same new tyres and tubes I have bought.

What wheels do people recommend, my budget is around £75 - £100

Ed.

You can get NOS 27 1 1/4 wheels from bankrupt bike parts on ebay - suspect these will be heavy as a wheelset and not much of an upgrade. However, they also sell rims only and I've had a pair and am getting them built up onto some high flange hubs. Quite where the wheelbuilder is getting the spokes from I can only guess!

I understand the ease & benefits of going for 700c but often find aesthetically these somehow never look quite right - too much of a gap between frame & wheel though a pair of 28c tyres can alter the look.

Can't you just swap the existing freewheel to something with a wider range? Once you go beyond the existing 6 speed you could be looking at new derailleur & shifters to accommodate additional cogs and that's your budget blown.

Also consider the spacing of the rear triangle - 120 / 126? Means squeezing a 130 hub in and then there's the effect on chainline. Plenty of folks have gone the 700c route without issue, it's just a case of making sure that the end result is what your after and isn't going to give you a whole heap of hassle.

Thanks FINNEY1973 you are a wealth of information :cool:

I am just a little paranoid about the old wheel circa 1985 especially cyling down Bullbarrow hill last night at 45 mph, the spokes are a little wobbly too :? I assume that wheels don't suddenly explode :shock:

I would like to keep the 27" it looks right, I have contacted a few companies regarding a suntour freewheel with a wider gear range then hopefully I will be able to get a wheel built up.

Any ideas what quality nos rims to search for, weight not too much of an issue but if I can shed some grams at the same time all the better :)

If the quest is for easier hill climbing I'd follow FINNEY1973's advice and look for a larger ratio freewheel. It could be worth surfing Ebay, I'm sure I've seen some Shimano ones. You could also change your inner chainring. If you have the standard 52/42 set up you could look to replace the 42 with a 38. Then you could cycle up Everest :)

I'd take the existing wheels to a local bike shop / wheelbuilder, get them appraised and re-built - new spokes all round and you've got a solid pair of wheels to last. As long as any corrosion isn't to deep seated and they are straight then you're on your way. Plenty of freewheels on ebay and the like, put an ad up in the wanted section - I think if your hitting 45mph :cool: then your right in getting a solid pair of wheels under you!

+1 on Robbied196 - change to a 38 front and it gives you a whole new world of easy riding.

Robbied196":1tdcx5wh said:
If the quest is for easier hill climbing I'd follow FINNEY1973's advice and look for a larger ratio freewheel. It could be worth surfing Ebay, I'm sure I've seen some Shimano ones. You could also change your inner chainring. If you have the standard 52/42 set up you could look to replace the 42 with a 38. Then you could cycle up Everest :)

I am a little confused :oops:

So I can remove my Suntour 6 speed freewheel from the hub and replace it with something like a 6 speed Shimano Hyperglide one (like those listed on the SJS Website )?

Back