1963 Bauer Weltmeister, Paintwork by Jack Taylor

Re: 1950s Racing Bike Expert for ID, Paintwork by Jack Taylo

Does not look British to me, we could get a clue from the internal threading.
Just had a quick look at the film, once again showed the brother building the wheel didn't have a clue how to lace up a wheel.

Congratulations! What you have is a German bicycle by Bauer. They built all kinds of bikes and were one of the largest manufacturers around but I'm pretty sure that yours is their top-of-the-line model called "Weltmeister". "Weltmeister" means "world champion" and refers to Heinz Müller winning the road world championship on a Bauer in 1952. So, starting from 1953, their top model always had that name.
According to this diagram, your bicycle should date back to the early sixties.

Attachments

• Schermata 08-2456534 alle 18.49.20.png
    Schermata 08-2456534 alle 18.49.20.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,248

Jeeves":1kmxnse4 said:
Here's a set of pictures of an early sixties Bauer "Weltmeister" frame.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/velocifer/ ... 732969801/

Wow!

If we had a rep system you'd be getting a gold star :)

Thank you for the ID, I know how often these identity queries rarely lead anywhere. I've been googling various Bauer Weltmeisters and we have a perfect match. The frame number would place it later at around 1963, the year I was born! :facepalm:

Also a nice connection to Heinz Müller, possibly why Jack Taylor thought it worthy of one of his paint jobs :)

Cheers
Rob

Jeeves":13tzcl3w said:

Interesting to see that in 1962 they still fitted only a single Simplex/Huret down tube lever boss, plain rear dropouts and the double cable stops for the chain tensioning version of a Tour de France spring operated rear mech. Perhaps this was a particular specification of the new owner as by '62 Campagnolo style parallelogram rear mechs and dropouts were rapidly becoming market standard.

Even though it looks a very nice frame I would say it looks somewhat 'dated' in comparison to the majority of UK built frames of the period - unless of course it is in fact earlier than '62? TBH, if I'd seen it without any additional info, I would have dated it as early/mid 50's.

I see this as a standard top end frame from a mass production factory. Quite good for the time, but nothing exceptional.

Old Ned":2h4gtc1t said:
Jeeves":2h4gtc1t said:

Interesting to see that in 1962 they still fitted only a single Simplex/Huret down tube lever boss, plain rear dropouts and the double cable stops for the chain tensioning version of a Tour de France spring operated rear mech. Perhaps this was a particular specification of the new owner as by '62 Campagnolo style parallelogram rear mechs and dropouts were rapidly becoming market standard.

Even though it looks a very nice frame I would say it looks somewhat 'dated' in comparison to the majority of UK built frames of the period - unless of course it is in fact earlier than '62? TBH, if I'd seen it without any additional info, I would have dated it as early/mid 50's.

The double eyelets on the chain stay were a regular feature of the Weltmeister frames of a certain period. Just as you stated, they were specially designed for the very particular Huret Louison Bobet derailleur. Unfortunately, this makes it very difficult to restore Weltmeisters to original condition once the derailleurs and the shifters are gone as they are nearly impossible to find.
My Weltmeister has the frame number 1872193 and I had it dated by an expert who told me that it should be from late 55/early 56. Luckily, it came in its original outfit. If I manage to make some photos I'll post them.
The great national rivals of the Bauer Weltmeisters were the Rabeneick Campagnolos btw. And I agree, they both had a rather old-fashioned charm perfectly matching the conservative taste of the "Wirtschaftswunder" years.
That's what makes this unique mix of an excellent Jack Taylor finish and the particular Bauer design so fascinating. Frankly, that bike looks better than my original one.
Anyway, the Weltmeister was also the model (at least officially) used by the Bauer racing teams.

Re:

Can anyone tell me if more was found out about this bike?
Only I think I now own it!! :xmas-big-grin:

Back